2000 Sport slight coolant smell from vents | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Sport slight coolant smell from vents

jhow1

Reaction score
City, State
north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
Not loosing any coolant that I can tell but yet often I can smell coolant coming from the vents. No water in the passenger floorboard. I assume its the heater core going out but I'm trying to run out of other ideas before I have to rip the dash out.

Anyone know of a good how to on replacing the heater core?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately it seems like heater core time.

I'll look in the "How To" section to see what I can find you.

If you do go in and do the heater core you might as well replace the damper door too.

Those are prone to failure.

Before you rip your dash out. You might want to try a bottle of K-Seal. Great stuff, permanent fix and wont hut anything.

Bit of an odd fix but check around the thermostat housing too, I had a SOHC truck that'd smell a bit like coolant inside if the housing was leaking, just a hunch, otherwise, try the K-Seal, it's a legit miracle, I love it and swear by it.

Bit of an odd fix but check around the thermostat housing too, I had a SOHC truck that'd smell a bit like coolant inside if the housing was leaking, just a hunch, otherwise, try the K-Seal, it's a legit miracle, I love it and swear by it.
I'll give it a try first.

Back