2000 Tracker front diff issue

wood1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North of Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
I put this thread in the Zuke forum because I don't believe Chev made any of this thing really.

Anyway, 2000 Chev Tracker 4dr, 4wd, 5 speed 130,000 kms.

4 wheel drive hasn't worked for a short time, I hadn't had the time to figure out why but today I noticed that while driving in 2wd there was a strange noise almost as though a chain was rattling underneath the vehicle. I shifted to 4wd and it imminently went away. Shift back to 2wd and it returns after 20-30 seconds.

So the 4wd light illuminates in the dash so I am pretty sure the compressor is pumping up the actuator and the transfer case is shifting (obviously in low range when selected), but still no 4wd.

I found a fix that involves welding the front diff in the engaged (actuator pumped up) mode and installing manual hubs so I'm strongly leaning towards doing that.

My question is do you all agree with my conclusion and could that return spring in the front diff be broken or something and that is the cause of the noise?

Comments, questions, wisdom?

CV joints in the front were totally stripped, balls out (he he he). Front axles were turning but the wheels were not. The 4 WD system seems fine fortunately. Fedex just rang the doorbell and delivered new axles, U-joints and brake pads from Rock Auto. Shipping is expensive but the parts were cheap. Maybe that's what i can do tomorrow on my day off...

Update, I installed the axles and new manual hubs. I bought them because I was going to get rid of the compressor pump and actuator in side the diff but that stuff still works.

The pass side required complete tear down of the suspension. The driver's side was easy. Remove the three bolts (might have been 4..) and pull it our from underneath. Slip the new axle in an bolt it up. Literally took 5 minutes. Now has 4WD again.

Back