2000 V8 AWD Explorer misfires on cyls 1 and 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 V8 AWD Explorer misfires on cyls 1 and 3

cantornikolaos

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0
Callsign
BigTime
Hey y'all.

I looked briefly in the forum and didn't see this already discussed. I bought a 2000 AWD V8 Explorer this summer, and it ran perfect, for about 2k miles. It began misfiring on cylinders 6 and 7, and was throwing a lean code. I replaced plugs, wires, and coils, and the lean code went away. Now, cylinders 1 and 3 are misfiring. New plugs, wires, and coils didn'thelp. Lean on Bank 2 code is gone, though. I also replaced the fuel filter. No dice. It does seem to idle and run a little better, but still stumbles and misfires, and backfires, a lot.

What gives?

Start with the basics... Check the fuel pressure, check for vacuum leaks, check compression, check for intake leaks.

back fire through the intake is a lean condition
check fuel pressure

I agree with @rasouth and I suspect you have a weak fuel pump
2000 AWD 5.0 should see 65-68 psi at the fuel rail,

Congratulations on your purchase! How many miles does it have? I agree with the good folks above, the fuel pump is a strong suspect for the cause of your issues. If you do replace the fuel pump, you may want to consider pulling the whole tank and give it a thorough cleaning, there is a lot of crud and small particles that can build up over the years and it could shorten the life of the next one. Keep a watch out for coolant leaks around the timing cover gasket, particularly near the top corners, a very common failure for these.

Back