2000 XLS ABS Light Came on

Fishrising

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
All,

I did a search on "ABS LIGHT ON" and got many many many returns. I looked through them, and didn't find any info that seemed to help me. They mostly seemed to be for for pre-94 explorers. So please don't flame me for reposting.

Yesterday, completely out of the blue my ABS light came on, and stayed on, while I was driving home from work. My ABS hasn't kicked in since the middle of this past summer. I was driving normally, no aggressive stops or turning. I haven't been in any significant mud or water anytime lately. I have a 2000 XLS that I bought 18 months ago, and currently have 37700 miles on her.

Any suggestions on what to try before going to the dealer, and maybe how?

Disconnect battery and reset computer?
Try cleaning sensors?
Talk dealer into performing this service under warranty?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How would you know when the ABS kick in? I thought it is done automatically?

Have you checked the fluids? the brake pads for wear? It could be that it's telling you that the pads need to be replaced, 38k miles could be an indicator of worn brake pads.

When you had it under the 36k warranty and had taken it into the dealer, they would look at it but now, it'd cost you some money for them to look at it. Probably around $100 for a diagnostic test.

I would reset the computer, then I would take it out and go on a back road when it is wet, drive quick, then lay on th ebrakes and see if the ABS work. If the light is still on and the ABS don;t work, try cleaning the sensors. If thats doesn;t work, bring it to the dealer and say "You know it started this problem at about 37,000 miles. that is only 1,000 over warentee period...can't you help me out on this one??" i am sure if they are a nice service department, they would help you out on it.

Check your fluid level. If it is fine, chances are there is a problem with one of the sensors.

Thanks to all!

I made an appointment, but they can't see me until 12/14. I guess 2 ford dealers in my area closed recently and they are getting a lot of new customers.

I will try resetting the computer....and check the fluid at the same time...

If that doesn't do it then I will try to clean the sensors and look at my brake pads/shoes in the process...

If that still doesn't do it, then I guess it's off to the dealer....

Thanks again!

I topped off the brake fluid last night and disconnected the battery for the night. Plugged the battery back in, turned it on........ABS light is still on......

This weekend hopefully I can inspect my brakes and check/clean the sensors.

Thanks again!

It was a speed sensor on one of the rear wheels:

The sensor was $13.50, and the bill from the dealer was $200, with tax and 3 hours labor.

Does it really take that long to replace a $13 speed sensor on a rear wheel?

Probably not, but they probably had a couple of hours of troubleshooting time before they found the problem.

Back