• Register Today It's free!

2000 XLS Clutch problem

jackson2088

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I have a 2000 XLS with just over 90,000 miles. I am having a difficult time switching gears. Sometimes it is impossible to get it into gear(any gear) without shutting the vehicle off and putting it in gear. The clutch goes almost to the floor before I can feel any pressure. Speed or how long I've been driving doesn't change anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the fluid level? Sounds like your slave cylinder is dead. If that's the case you have to drop the tranny to replace it. While you have the tranny dropped you might as well change the clutch, throw-out bearings and related stuff.

I checked the fluid and the level is fine. I took it to a local shop and he seems to think it is the master cylinder. I'm going to try that first since it does not require dropping the tranny. Hopefully it will fix the problem. a $70 gamble is better than the latter.

I replaced the master and bench bled it before I installed. I then followed the procedures for bleeding the system however the is still air in the system. Anyone have any suggestions for bleeding the system?

Had to wait until I could get 2 people to help but I got it bleed and it shifts silky smooth now. The first shop I took it to thought it was the master and the 2nd thought it was the slave. Took the first advice because I didn't want to drop the tranny and it all worked out. So my advice is if you have little or no clutch and it is not losing fluid or slipping check the master cylinder it could save you time and money. Also it took four trys to get it bled so don't give up.

Back