2000 XLT 4WD shock replacement... Need opinions/advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 XLT 4WD shock replacement... Need opinions/advice

ExplorerXLT95

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4.0 SOHC
Vehicle: 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC 4WD

Suspension: Stock height; ZERO suspension modifications

Goals:
Primary goal: Excellent/better-than-OEM ride quality/comfort on paved surfaces
Secondary goal: Substantially improved Substantially improved ride-quality and comfort when encountering roadwork/potholes/uneven pavement/etc
Tertiary goal: Improved cornering/handling

Replacement Options (ranked by price):
Koni Special Frnt (30-1614): $191.10 (2x$95.55; www.eshocks.com)
Koni Special Rear (30-1502): $179.34 (2x$89.67; www.eshocks.com)
Koni Special: $370.448

Edelbrock IAS Performer Frnt (ED3309): $151.90 (2x$75.95; www.explorerexpress.com)
Edelbrock IAS Performer Rear (ED3409): $151.90 (2x$75.95; www.explorerexpress.com)
Edelbrock IAS Performer: $303.80

OEM Frnt : $ 97.56 (2x$48.78; www.newfordparts.com)
OEM Lft Rear: $ 77.00 (www.newfordparts.com)
OEM Rgt Rear: $ 87.16 (www.newfordparts.com)
OEM: $261.72

Bilstein HD Frnt (F4-B46-2133-H0): $129.90 (2x$64.95; www.eshocks.com)
Bilstein HD Rear (F4-B46-2134-H0): $129.90 (2x$64.95; www.eshocks.com)
Bilstein HD: $259.80

Rancho RSX17000 Frnt (RSX17021): $102.80 (2x$51.40; www.amazon.com)
Rancho RSX17000 Rear (RSX17018): $102.80 (2x$51.40; www.amazon.com)
Rancho RSX17000: $205.60

Rancho RS5000 Frnt (RS5229): $89.30 (2x$44.65; www.amazon.com)
Rancho RS5000 Rear (RS5185): $89.30 (2x$44.65; www.amazon.com)
Rancho RS5000: $178.60

Rancho RS9000XL Frnt (RS999229XL): $??.??
Rancho RS9000XL Rear (RS999185XL): $??.??
Rancho RS9000XL: $??.??

Questions/Concerns:
My questions are simple:
1) Has anyone used any of the above shock absorbers? If so, what did you think about them?
2) Why would I choose one of these brands over the other?
3) Am I forgetting anything when replacing the shocks?
4) What is an "axle-wrap"? Do I need to replace it as well?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions, advice, opinions, experience and comments!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did I not post this in the right forum? No one has any input whatsoever?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Bilstein HDs. They have a "limited lifetime warranty", are about the midrange in price, and I have used Bilstein shocks in other cars, just not an SUV.

After the Bilsteins I would probably go with the Edelbrocks, followed by the Ranchos (RSX series, then RS5000 series), followed by the Koni Specials. OEMs would be a last resort.

My only problem is that I have not used ANY of these shocks before (except for a different version of the Bilsteins for a car, not an SUV) and I would like to know what people have used before.

Questions/Concerns:
My questions are simple:
1) Has anyone used any of the above shock absorbers? If so, what did you think about them?
2) Why would I choose one of these brands over the other?
3) Am I forgetting anything when replacing the shocks?
4) What is an "axle-wrap"? Do I need to replace it as well?

Again, thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions, advice, opinions, experience and comments!

The Bilsteins for sure. The Edelbrock's don't even belong on the list because they are terrible. The Ranchos will probably be OK, but not as good as the Bilsteins.

The Bilsteins for sure. The Edelbrock's don't even belong on the list because they are terrible. The Ranchos will probably be OK, but not as good as the Bilsteins.

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the Bilsteins anyways, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing some key information that would have swayed me to another shock.

Which shocks have you used before? Any ideas on the 4 questions I posted?

What are your primary goals? It's very difficult...if not impossible...to get a nice cushy ride down the highway and still have the control your are after with these shocks you mention unless you find adjustables and are willing to adjust them all every time you need to. So what you are after is a good compromise. There are some folks here who have a lot of experience with that and can help you. I don't go off road anymore. I just don't have the need. So my cars are used almost exclusively on road. I just threw on a set of Monroe Sensa-trac's on my 99. For my use, I couldn't be happier. I am amazed at how well they work. But they wouldn't be my first choice for serious off road use.

What are your primary goals? It's very difficult...if not impossible...to get a nice cushy ride down the highway and still have the control your are after with these shocks you mention unless you find adjustables and are willing to adjust them all every time you need to. So what you are after is a good compromise. There are some folks here who have a lot of experience with that and can help you. I don't go off road anymore. I just don't have the need. So my cars are used almost exclusively on road. I just threw on a set of Monroe Sensa-trac's on my 99. For my use, I couldn't be happier. I am amazed at how well they work. But they wouldn't be my first choice for serious off road use.

I do not go "offroad" a lot. And when I do, I doubt anyone on this board would consider it true "offroading". I literally mean, driving off the road (e.g. into a muddy field, over a very small portion of rock/gravel/uneven terrain, etc).

HOWEVER, I do encounter roadwork/potholes/uneven pavement/etc with relative frequency and I want that experience to become more comfortable, with respect to ride-quality.

My goals (per the Goals section in my first post), with a modification based on my above statement (in bold red), are:

Goals:
Primary goal: Excellent/better-than-OEM ride quality/comfort on paved surfaces
Secondary goal: Substantially improved ride-quality and comfort when encountering roadwork/potholes/uneven pavement/etc
Tertiary goal: Improved cornering/handling

I am about 95% sure I'm going with the Bilsteins. Lifetime warranty, good reputation, seemingly-positive response to them here on ExplorerForums. Sounds like a good idea.

For the record, I WILL also be replacing the so-called "5th shock" or "Axle Wrap" (as Bilstein refers to it).

Here's what I'll be buying:
Front Shocks --- (2) Bilstein HD F4-B46-2133-H0
Rear Shocks --- (2) Bilstein HD F4-B46-2134-H0
Axle-wrap --- (1) Bilstein HD F4-B36-2135-H0

Total cost (shipped): $339.75 (www.eshocks.com)

I'll be sure to post-up when I've installed them.

I have a 96 Explorer 4x4 and installed Monroe Sensatracs and it almost rattles your teeth out whenever there is the slightest bump. I'm at a point where I need to know what the best shock is for normal daily driving that won't really shake me around, and I won't use the Sensatracs again. The new shocks were installed along with new ball joints so all was tight.

A set of Bilsteins on a 95 GMC Yukon really transformed the way it rode and I never had the jarring ride with it like I do the Explorer, but I'm not quite sure what I should expect from the Explorer as I never owned it when new (or ever rode in another to compare).

If anyone has tried Bilsteins, I'd really like to know their story as I don't think my Explorer rides like it should.

I have a 96 Explorer 4x4 and installed Monroe Sensatracs and it almost rattles your teeth out whenever there is the slightest bump. I'm at a point where I need to know what the best shock is for normal daily driving that won't really shake me around, and I won't use the Sensatracs again. The new shocks were installed along with new ball joints so all was tight.

A set of Bilsteins on a 95 GMC Yukon really transformed the way it rode and I never had the jarring ride with it like I do the Explorer, but I'm not quite sure what I should expect from the Explorer as I never owned it when new (or ever rode in another to compare).

If anyone has tried Bilsteins, I'd really like to know their story as I don't think my Explorer rides like it should.

damork - I am going with the Bilsteins for front, rear and axle-wrap. I will be replacing all shocks and the lower ball joints on 25-Oct-2008. I will report back as to the ride quality difference afterward.

Oh, and if you're looking for cheap Bilsteins, www.eshocks.com . That's the cheapest seemingly-reputable place I've found them for sale.

I purchased the following from www.eshocks.com:
(1) Bilstein Heavy Duty Axle-wrap (B36-2135-H0) -- $79.95/ea
(2) Bilstein Heavy Duty Front Shock (B46-2133-H0) -- $64.95/ea
(2) Bilstein Heavy Duty Rear Shock (B46-2134-H0) -- $64.95/ea

Total, SHIPPED was $339.75. Ordered Tuesday around 8:30PM EST (after hours), and they arrived at my doorstep on Friday afternoon.

I have to say, I am VERY impressed with www.eshocks.com. They were BY FAR THE CHEAPEST for the Bilsteins anywhere (including Amazon) and they were incredibly fast *FREE* shipping (from Lansing, MI to Annapolis, MD).

These puppies will go on, along with some MOOG Lower Control Arm Ball Joints, beginning around 7:00am on 25-Oct-2008. I will be sure to report back on what a difference the ride quality is.

Just wanted to give some kudos to www.eshocks.com

UPDATE:

Well, we began at 7:00am yesterday. We replaced both lower ball joints with MOOG lower ball joints (the hardest part of this by far is removing the spindle). And when we got the driver's side disassembled, we noticed that my stabilizer bar link bolt had been completely sheered off!! So, we replaced that side with a MOOG stabilizer link bolt. Then, we replaced all 4 shocks and the axle-wrap. I got the front-end aligned around 4:00pm and was driving home around 5:00pm.

We did take a lunch break and took our time with everything we did. It took us the better part of 1 hour to get the passenger's side spindle off. It took about the same amount of time on the driver's side spindle. The passenger's side shock top bolt/nut was also quite a bit rusted, so we ended up having to cut the bolt off.

I LOVE how the ride is now. It's very responsive and takes the road in stride. I would highly suggest the Bilstein's.

ExplorerXLT95,

It appears you are very satisfied with the Bilsteins. How would you compare the ride now vs before the Bilsteins? My Yukon went from Monroe Sensatracs to the Bilsteins and although they are called HD, the truck just stopped jarring me around like it had before. Firmer, but not to the point that it bounced on rough ground.

Is that anything like what you experienced on the Explorer? Thanks.

ExplorerXLT95,

It appears you are very satisfied with the Bilsteins. How would you compare the ride now vs before the Bilsteins? My Yukon went from Monroe Sensatracs to the Bilsteins and although they are called HD, the truck just stopped jarring me around like it had before. Firmer, but not to the point that it bounced on rough ground.

Is that anything like what you experienced on the Explorer? Thanks.

Well, comparing Monroe (no idea what model) shocks installed about 70K miles ago to the Bilsteins, there is no comparison.

The ride is firm, but forgiving. No jarring anymore, but that was due to the previous shocks being pretty much shot. So, yea, I'd say you described it pretty accurately. 'Firmer, but not the point that it bounced on rough ground.'

I'm pretty happy with them and the MOOG lower ball joints I replaced.

I just installed a set of Bilsteins from the same guys. Had to cut off the old Edelbrocks. No instructions with Bilsteiins, took awhile to find the allen hole at the top of the shaft on the fronts.

Replaced the (5th shock) axle damper shock with a Monroe for $32 via Amazon. To remove that was a pain, after 13 years the bolt on the side by the differential was stuck. Had to remove the bracket from the differential for access, then hammer it out with a 6 pound hammer to remove the shock, and get a new bolt.

ExplorerXLT95 -
I was wondering if you would be willing to answer a few questions. I have the exact same model Explorer as you do (same year, trim, engine). I think I may be on a similar quest. My Explorer has always had a bit of a rough ride, mainly just jolting you over bumps and exaggerated body lean on curvy roads. I have never replaced the shocks, and I think that may help. My explorer has around 70K miles on it. After a few weeks of driving, are you still satisfied with the bilsteins? Do you feel that it made a significant enough difference in the ride that you would go the same way if you had it to do over again, or would you just buy cheaper shocks? Any other suggestions you might be able to offer me? Thanks so much for your help.

It was not addressed to me, but last month I installed the Bilsteins on my 95 XLT after having Edelbrocks for 7 years, 70,000 miles. I highly recommend the Bilsteins. Big bumps are absorbed well, the body lean is controlled, no vibrations. Handling is still good, steering great ( note I also just installed new upper control arms and tie rod ends and new Michelin tires). The ride is much smoother than even the new Edelbrocks, which are one of the stiffest shocks around. Now the Explorer is not much stiffer than my Infiniti G35 coupe with aftermarket sway bars. anything will be an improvement over your old shocks. The Bilsteins give that German firm comfortable ride with good handling, like a BMW. Monroes give that mush soft ride with sloppy handling like a typical American car or a stock Explorer.

Clutchless1995 -
Thank you so much for your response. It was very helpful. I am leaning towards the Bilsteins, and your previous experience and comparison with the Edelbrocks was just what I was looking for. A rep at eshocks.com highly recommended the Bilsteins. He said that Edelbrock is shaving down their product line and deleting part numbers, while Bilstein continues to add to theirs. He said that probably about 95% of their orders are for Bilsteins. Thanks again.

If you search there are a couple threads, some may be stickies, providing shock installation instruction tips. I had to cut off my old front upper shock shafts as the nuts were rusted on beyond my removal attempts. I had to destroy the upper bushing to get room to insert a hacksaw blade. Sawing did not take that long. Be sure to soak all nuts & bolts with PB Blaster several times over a several day or week period before attempting to remove the old shocks. You have to remove the spare tire to get at the rear shocks upper mounts. The Bilsteins come with all new hardware. You need a 5 MM allen wrench to tighten the front shock upper nuts on the shaft. The torque levels are very low for the front lower bolts and the rear upper bolts/nuts, be sure to look them up.

i know this post is a really old post however We installed the Rancho shocks on both our 2000 explorer and our 1989 bronco II. The shocks did not even last a year. They were terrible. When we replaced them they were completely useless. I will never buy another Rancho shock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My front driver's shock is leaking and its time to replace. I want to go with the 5100 but am having trouble deciphering all my options. I did the torsion twist and rear shackles to get just under 2" of lift vs stock so I'm a bit leery of getting what all the websites' fit guides say to get for my explorer (2000 XLT 4wd). Any input? The last thing I want to do is get brand new shocks that are a bit too short. Thanks!

Also, I'll probably be getting new leaf springs as well, they are just about flat at this point.

Back