2000 XLT 5.0 AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 XLT 5.0 AWD

gj314

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 5.0
Treads are pretty worn, right now it has 235/75R15s, and I’m getting new tires this weekend so I need to figure out what I want. I’m looking for all seasons that have a bit of an all terrain/off road look with some thicker/deeper treads. Probably $130 each max. I was wondering if a tire a little bigger would fit on the 15 rims and not rub on the wheel well. Wondering if anyone has experience with slightly bigger tires, because I feel like it would look nicer with slightly bigger tires and the wheel well would be more filled up.

Kinda what I’m looking for, but wondering if I can go slightly bigger without a lift 235/75r15 wrangler trailrunner - Google Search

32242785-95ED-44ED-AB7E-D21927EC65F4.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

30x9.5s will surely fit stock, and 31x10.5s most likely will fit. Sometimes the 31s rub, but you’d just need to adjust your torsion bars.

Treads are pretty worn, right now it has 235/75R15s, and I’m getting new tires this weekend so I need to figure out what I want. I’m looking for all seasons that have a bit of an all terrain/off road look with some thicker/deeper treads. Probably $130 each max. I was wondering if a tire a little bigger would fit on the 15 rims and not rub on the wheel well. Wondering if anyone has experience with slightly bigger tires, because I feel like it would look nicer with slightly bigger tires and the wheel well would be more filled up.

Kinda what I’m looking for, but wondering if I can go slightly bigger without a lift 235/75r15 wrangler trailrunner - Google Search

View attachment 169986
With a torsion twist and a sawzall you can go to 33x12.5 on a 15x9 rim. So anything smaller than that should be fine.
I had 32x10.5 R15 originally and some plastic needed to be removed with those as well so if cutting plastic off isn't something your comfortable with 31's are as big as you should go.

With a torsion twist and a sawzall you can go to 33x12.5 on a 15x9 rim. So anything smaller than that should be fine.
I had 32x10.5 R15 originally and some plastic needed to be removed with those as well so if cutting plastic off isn't something your comfortable with 31's are as big as you should go.

Do you have any pictures of explorers with tire sizes around that? I’m trying to decide between 30X9.5R15 or 31X9.5 or 31X10.5 if it wouldn’t require me to do anything with suspension or cutting.

Do you have any pictures of explorers with tire sizes around that? I’m trying to decide between 30X9.5R15 or 31X9.5 or 31X10.5 if it wouldn’t require me to do anything with suspension or cutting.
Those are 33's

20190328_213444.jpg

Those are 32.6 by 10. No way that it could steer with those and no torsion twist

20190416_173707.jpg

31x9.5 is a very uncommon size. 30x9.5 is a sure fit if you don’t want to do anything but mount them.

31x9.5 is a very uncommon size. 30x9.5 is a sure fit if you don’t want to do anything but mount them.

Looks like I’m doing 30x9.5 then. I was looking at the Goodyear wrangler all terrain trailrunner and it looked decent. Know of any good tires this size that will have good traction and ride decently quiet?

I like Grabber ATXs, but they might not be in your price range. Great grip and life. Excellent in the snow.

Looks like I’m doing 30x9.5 then. I was looking at the Goodyear wrangler all terrain trailrunner and it looked decent. Know of any good tires this size that will have good traction and ride decently quiet?
I am of no use to you on that front :^) I like my tires big and meaty and do not care about noise ;^) that being said the Duratrac's on my 2 door are not noisy at all.

I like Grabber ATXs, but they might not be in your price range. Great grip and life. Excellent in the snow.

Do you know if it’s possible to turn off traction control on my Explorer? Can’t seem to find out how to do it so I assume it’s not possible to turn off.

You don’t have traction control.

No. You just don’t have enough power to spin the tires.

Is there stability control or anything that prevents wheelspin?
I do not know about the V6 4 doors but my 2 door had no 2 wheel drive option. Auto 4 high 4 low only. I did the brown wire mod so I can have true 2 wheel drive. My 4 door is a V8 so it is always in 4 high.

No. You just don’t have enough power to spin the tires.
Lol. Tell me about it. My 2 door is a manual transmission so it is the 4.0 ohv which when new only had 160 horse. In 4 low and first gear it will bog down and stall on a 30 degree incline :^( and that's with 4.10 gearing. I really hope I get the 5.0 swap done this summer.

The 4.0 should pull any incline. They aren’t a lot of hp, but they have decent torque. If that’s the case, there’s something wrong with it.
I wouldn’t consider AWD 4wd high. Very different animals.

I do not know about the V6 4 doors but my 2 door had no 2 wheel drive option. Auto 4 high 4 low only. I did the brown wire mod so I can have true 2 wheel drive. My 4 door is a V8 so it is always in 4 high.

So mines also a 4 door V8. So basically it has no traction or stability control it just always pumps all the tires the same regardless? So there’s nothing on the car that would slow down or speed up specific tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So mines also a 4 door V8. So basically it has no traction or stability control it just always pumps all the tires the same regardless? So there’s nothing on the car that would slow down or speed up specific tires?
From everything I've read all the V8 are all wheel drive.

Back