2000 XLT (AWD) grinding with new front axles. ( I searched but... read) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 XLT (AWD) grinding with new front axles. ( I searched but... read)

Not likely... You'd just have to drop the front shaft until you can repair the t-case. It's unlikely to do any significant damage if it's only in for a short time.

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The truck does creep....

About as fast as a minute hand on a clock....

Yep...

So, off i go into the project.
I did research rebuilding the Transfer Case. (Just in case)
Its REALLY EASY!!

Anyway, I have a line on a diff locally for $150.
I can get a shaft new for 180+/-

T.Case mounting hardware i need to source.

I need a seal kit for the diff, right?
I want to at least replace the diff cover gasket and the output shaft seals.

Which kit?

Creeping is good. :)

Make sure that the diff is the proper gear ratio.

No seal for the cover... Shaft seals on the ends, yes, but not on the cover. RTV works fine. Give it a night (or at least several hours) to cure before refilling it. Make sure you pop the cover and drain/refill it before you install it. (No way to remove the cover once installed)

I am about to buy the used front differential.

What seal kit do i need to buy if i only intend to replace the seals on the output shafts.
(I dont want to dissassemble the entire chunk.)

I will remove the cover and clea and inspect the gears, flush it, refill it, etc.

I assume there is no gasket for the diff cover, yes?

Can I ask a stupid question? You said you replaced the front axles (diff to wheel). Can I ask why you swapped them? Were there even axles in the thing to begin with? Because if the front diff was bad, I can't imagine it not making noise even without a front driveline. And we all know what can happen if you drive without axles in place. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here is all...sorry for not being able to tell from what has been written.

Can I ask a stupid question? You said you replaced the front axles (diff to wheel). Can I ask why you swapped them? Were there even axles in the thing to begin with? Because if the front diff was bad, I can't imagine it not making noise even without a front driveline. And we all know what can happen if you drive without axles in place. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here is all...sorry for not being able to tell from what has been written.

I bought this truck without any axels in the front.
The ends were installed to keep leaks and bad bearings from happening.

I JUST installed NEW complete CV axels.

I began to roll out of the garage and I was all excited to go driving, but..
NOOOoOooOoOoooooo..

I cant do this.
It's too loud.

SOMETHINGS wrong.

From his first post...

So, i'm ready to repair all this....

I have found the diff, and the axels.

What seal kit is reccommended for this diff? (Remember i only want to change the seals that would let fluid leak from the diff cover and the output shafts.)

Again, there are two axle seals and no cover seal (use RTV). Any auto parts store should have them available. Worst case, any dealer will have them available too.

Yes, I know what was said before, but I dont know what these seals are called!
(I forgot there was no diff gasket)

I see many seals. Notheing jumps out as being what I would need.

I am looking on the Advance Autoparts site.
Can you link me to what one looks like or paste in what it is called?

Just to straighten this up.

This guy had a truck, with no front drive shaft.. and no cv axles. The Previous owner removed everything around the front diffy because it was trashed.

So our friend installed cv axles (not knowing he didn't have a front drive shaft yet) and it made horrible noises.. (because installing the cv axles put the damaged front diff into action)

And to a previous question about damaging the tcase if something goes wrong up front... odds are.. you'll most likely destroy the cv joint in the front drive shaft before you damage anything else. (It'll still put a lot of stress on the tcase though..)

Good summation...

... and my thougths exactly. (If i could only get the real name of those seals now.)

Man, I figured this whole issue out from your first post.. I am shocked that everyone else got confused.. I am by far no expert on this stuff.. I'm still learning.

Sorry, I don't know what the seals are called.. but you can go to Ford and have them print you off a picture diagram thing of your front end.. and you take take that around to find the parts.. or you could just get them from Ford.......

Front Axle Shaft Seals.

Take the old ones out and take them into the local parts store, or call ahead and see if anyone has them on the shelf (probably next-day wherever you go). Search for 'Axle shaft seal' from the main search page.

Try this link (no promises)

-Joe

if i read correctly, the seals you are looking for are on the front diff, where the cv is installed. those are simply called axle shaft seals. carquest, napa, checker, and advance do not carry this seal. autozone can order the driver's side only :rolleyes:. I had to go to ford to get mine. and be VERY sure the truck wasn't driven without the cv shafts installed, as that will destroy the hub assembly.

Will it? I can only see a problem arising if the hub assembly is bad. He had already driven the truck plenty without his cv axles.

yes. the hub is sandwitched between the knuckle (in essence), and the cv stub. without the cv there is nothing to retain the other side of that bearing, and with any side load, aka a corner, that hub will be trashed. you can run these without cv shafts, as long as you take apart the cv joint, and install that "stub" in the knuckle.

The hub is bolted to the outer side of the knuckle, and the cv axle end that goes into it only holds it into place afaik. The"stub" isn't pressed against anything, it doesn't even make contact with the knuckle. (Well, mine did.. which is why everything went to hell.. haha) I'm just not understanding how on our vehicles running without a cv axle, can damage the hub..

Because the way I see it, that axle nut, and the cv axle end that goes into the hub.. it's designed that way to (obviously, turn the front wheels) and to keep the cv axle in at a stable place without any in-out movement in the hub assembly. It's not really holding anything together.. I've taken a hub assembly and pulled it into two parts.. (yeah... that's how bad it got..) and the part that spins goes all the way to the inside part.. with a little bit of the case being back there too.. (prolly a good idea to grease or anti-seize this part up btw) I don't see how having that shaft in holds anything together, only holds the axle in-place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back