2000BlackGT's '97 V8 AWD Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000BlackGT's '97 V8 AWD Limited

My first explorer and it's sure a project. Section525 and I are screaming along on it. Hope to go pick up some chicks tonight! :exp:

Yesterday:
DSC00210.JPG

Today:
900.jpg

901.jpg

904.jpg

903.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That F-150 looks awesome. So whats the background on the Explorer? What's happening to it?

-Drew

Head gasket. We just got the heads off. Now we're cleaning everything before starting to rebuild it.

It's a '97 with about 133k on it. Tan leather, sunroof, all the good stuff. I think the air ride may be messed up, but that's another project. We picked it up for pretty cheap and hope to only throw about $200-$300 into it.

It's down to the short block now. This is what we're dealing with. Looks like we'll be getting the heads check tomorrow. :( Gaskets looked fairly good. So it's better to get them check than reassemble and have the same problem.

Might have to get some AFRs for this thing. Hmmmmm. :cool:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 296
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 280

I don't know whats worse - the gasket or the "shop" haha cool deal though. good luck on it

-Drew

Those pics bring back memories.

We're thinking there was a problem between the lower intake and the passenger side head. Looks like coolant may have been getting into the block from there. We'll see what the head guy says tomorrow. So we had to wrap it up early tonight. :(

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 551

Well, both heads are warped! :cool: :p

We dropped them off and the machinest is resurfacing them and cleaning them. Only setting us back $100. Not a bad deal at all. :D

Attachments

• heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 321

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• heads2.jpg
    heads2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 267
  • heads1.jpg
    heads1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 272

As of now:

Attachments

• sk.jpg
    sk.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 261
  • ohyeah.jpg
    ohyeah.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 295

john, thanks for the great pregnant pic of me. Holy crap that pizza makes me look fat.

I don't think they took off enough to effect it much. He told us, but it was all in another language to me. :D

This is how far we got last night.

What's left:

Driver's side exhaust manifold
Exhaust collector bolts
Plugs/Wires
Air intake
Fan belt
Steering shaft
Fender wells
Oil/Coolant

I think that's about it. Shooting for 3hrs to finish. :cool:

Attachments

• almost.jpg
    almost.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 245

It's running. So far so good. Update soon.

Those be headers on there? I don't want to ever get that friendly with my 302!! :p

IAmTodd said:
Those be headers on there? I don't want to ever get that friendly with my 302!! :p

I was showing my buddy what the TQ Monsters look like. They're old prototypes. We went with stock collectors for now (which I think are cracked :( ).

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 231
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 233

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back