2001 145K Trans maintenance advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 145K Trans maintenance advice

eric256

Reaction score
City, State
Kaneohe, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT AWD
My 2001 AWD Explorer has 145 loving miles. It got a dealer rebuilt trans under warranty at 28K. Since then it has been perfect. I drive mostly highway and pull a boat about 10 miles once in a blue moon. It lives a good live here in Hawaii.

I'm concerned about any maintenance. I've not changed the fluid yet. At this point is there any possible harm in changing it? It shifts just fine and the fluid level never seems to drop. I plan on selling in soon and don't want to mess with it really.

Should I use any additives?

Also - the 4x4 transfer case - should the oil be changed there?

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would change both. How does your fluid look and smell?

I second the fluid change. Transfer case is cheap, only ~2 quarts or so, use a good Mercon V fluid.

I would at least drop the tranny pan and install a new filter. It also allows you to renew about half of the fluid in there. Mercon V here as well.

I second the fluid change. Transfer case is cheap, only ~2 quarts or so, use a good Mercon V fluid.

I would at least drop the tranny pan and install a new filter. It also allows you to renew about half of the fluid in there. Mercon V here as well.

the T-case does not get Mercon V, just regular Mercon. the trans gets Mercon V (around 5 qts with filter change/around 12 qts with torque converter drain).

Valvoline's Mercon V is meant for Mercon applications, and I imagine all other reputable Mercon V varieties are qualified to Mercon as well.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/mercon_v.pdf

well, i go by what Ford recommends. they say Mec V for the trans and Merc for the T-case. if Ford thought Merc V was suitable for the T-case they would have said so. i don't know why this is, but all it's doing in the T-case is lubricating the chain and bearings so i don't know what the benefit of using V would be and it's more expensive.

well, i go by what Ford recommends. they say Mec V for the trans and Merc for the T-case. if Ford thought Merc V was suitable for the T-case they would have said so. i don't know why this is, but all it's doing in the T-case is lubricating the chain and bearings so i don't know what the benefit of using V would be and it's more expensive.

That's true, Mercon is cheaper, but I think Mercon V is a tighter specification so it would be the superior lubricant. I just put Mercon V in mine since the price isn't that different, like $0.50 a quart and it prevents having multiple fluids in stock. My two cents.

Back