• Register Today It's free!

2001/2 Ford 6CDRadio HU into '98?

shytot4x4

Reaction score
City, State
West Yorkshire, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Not got an Explorer now..
Hello guys. I'm new here but I have looked through the archives to find a solution to my problem and only found partial solutions. So here goes...
I have an early '98 Explorer which is fitted with a 'premium' audio radio/cassette HU. The model is a 7000RDS and it has two 8-pin connectors (a black one and a white one) and a yellow 6-pin connector (3 pins used). The vehicle has rear seat audio controls and the auto volume/speed function.
I want to install a newer HU from a 2001/2 Explorer (bought from a salvage yard). I have bought a set of fully wired plugs for the back of the 'new' HU. As some of you will know I now have what looks like 100 wires hanging out of the back of my 'new' HU and only 17 wires on the vehicle harness.
So, what goes where? Why are there 3 sets of speaker wires in the new plugs? Which do I hook up to the vehicle harness?
I understand why the manufacturers of the adapter harness plugs make them with all pins connected, all I need to know is which wires I have to hook up to the original vehicle harness.
My Explorer does not have a separate amplifier in the rear compartment. The amp is integrated with the HU. I don't have a remote CD changer installed.
BTW, did I mention that I'm in the UK?

TIA
Shytot4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well first off welcom to the site... I can't answer your question, but I think CobraJeff might be able to... Hopefully he'll wonder in here sooner or later and answer your question...

Thanks for the welcome, Heath!
Let's hope someone comes along soon to help me out.

Cheers,
Shytot4x4 (Simon)

Simon -

Hello and welcome to the Explorer Audio Forum.

I am on vacation for the next couple weeks, without access to any of my materials.

In the meantime, is your new radio a 6006 out of an EAO Explorer, or a CD6 out of an NA Expkorer? What are the part numbers of both your new and old unit?

regards,

cobrajeff

Cobrajeff

Thanks for your interest in my problem. NA = North American? EAO=????
Anyways, the 'old' radio is a 7000RDS, type F8RF-18C838-BB.
The 'new' radio is a CD-6, type 1R3F-18C815-AD.

I have a set of wired plugs for the back of the CD-6 and I have ordered a FD02 harness adaptor from 'Stereo Install Parts' for the vehicle so that I (hopefully) won't have to cut the original harness. I notice that the FD02 does not include a socket for the 6-pin yellow plug on my 'old' radio so I might have to cut & splice at least 3 wires.

TIA
Shytot4x4 (Simon)

This seems like a 'One step forwards, two steps back' situation. I've managed to get the CD6 powered-up and running. Unfortunately the audio quality is horribly 'tinny' so I guess that the CD6 is designed for a sub woofer system. Which I ain't got:(
Any help appreciated. Maybe I just bought an expensive door stop!

TIA
Shytot4x4 (Simon)

1R3F-18C815-AD is a "Mustang" radio

Simon -

The CDX6 radio you have is a NA (North American) model originally intended for use in a Mustang Coupe with a Mach 460 Sound System. You are right - it will sound very tinny as the low frequencies are being directed (via a line-out from the head unit) to a subwoofer w/amplifier that you do not have. Unfortunately, even if you DID have the subwoofer, it still wouldn't be "right" as there are unique EQ curves for the 4 door Explorer versus the Mustang configuration (even Mustang has 2 EQ's, one for Coupe, and one for Convertible models).

There were no CDX6 radios offered in the "spring-clip" configuration for the Explorer (prior to the 2002 Model Year). There were "aftermarket" model CDX6 radios sold by Visteon for earlier Explorers, but not for the subwoofered systems. The closest thing would probably be a CDX6 radio from an Explorer Sport Trac - part number YL2F-18C815-MA. This model also requires a subwoofer, and would have a different EQ than an Explorer, but should be a lot closer than a Mustang version. There WAS a CDX6 radio for Sport Trac without a subwoofer, part number YL2F-18C815-GD, but it was only offered for a partial model year.

Another alternative would be a Mercury Cougar CDX6 radio, which was actually offered in NA (North American) and EAO (European, actually stands for "European Automotive Operations", an entity at Ford that doesn't actually exist anymore). The Cougar radios were offered with and without Subwoofers. You will lose Rear Seat Controls compatibility (that may not matter to you) with the Cougar versions. The EAO type Cougar radio will receive European broadcast frequencies (the NA model will receive North American frequencies).

Hope this helps.

regards,

cobrajeff

Sorry guys, I haven't been around for a while.
Cobrajeff, thanks for the info. It looks like I have bought a bit of a lemon! I guess it is destined to appear on eBay sometime soon.
Once again, thanks for the time and effort you put into the detailed reply.

Cheers,
Shytot4x4 (Simon H)

Back