2001 5.0 cylinder 2 over firing misfire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 5.0 cylinder 2 over firing misfire

JeffD11N

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
My x keeps kicking a cyl 2 misfire. Random misfire and lean bank 1 codes come up but after you clear them the cyl 2 comes back right away.

I have replaced the motorcraft wires with new motorcraft wires and a new motorcraft platinum plug for that cylinder. Still sets the code. Figured it has to be the coilpack. New motorcraft coil, same cylinder 2 miss.

After a good number of non repeatable words I thought for giggles lets put a timing light on it to see what it flashing. 7 cylinders flash the normal steady pulse. Number 2 on the other hand will flash a couple of times then give you a bursts of flashes between the normal pulse rate that may do it real quick or give a multiple 5 second long burst. There is no pattern at all to the bursts. The silly ******* is over firing and getting out of time.

Any ideas?

I’d pull the other plugs and compare them to the one you took out. I’d also replace the 7 remaining plugs.

The reason I did not replace the other 7 is they only have 5k on them. I water tested the wires and could see an arc on #2.

I do believe I found the problem after my first post. I remembered an old school in line spark tester I have. I put that on the plug and fired it up. Nice steady pulse no bursts (IDK what the timing light was doing) and still missing. I pulled the wire off of the injector and put it back on. Abra Cadabra problem gone. Now lets see if it stays that way.

Good to hear you figured it out. The miss fire with a lean code on that same bank definitely points to an injector not firing.

Back