2001 Explorer AWD?

newstang

Reaction score
City, State
new milford, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer
Just would like a heads up from the pro's

Went to a dealer today to Buy an Explorer.
Has in stock a :
2001 w/ 5.0l
and AWD
Is there and AWD explorer?
how can I tell for sure?
also Price is 14,500 with 45000 miles..... Good price ?
thanks for any input.
rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rob, yes there is an AWD explorer - I've got a 2000 V8 AWD myself. Since there are no badges, look under the truck and see the front differential. It will be a large unit connected to the engine. Another way to be sure, is go there on a rainy / snowy day and take it for a test drive.

As far as price, check the Blue Book value (and other services out there). For reference, I paid about $15,800 for my 2000 in July of this year with 23,000 miles. Just a few things to note:

Great truck for hauling but it SUCKS on gas. I'm averaging 10 - 13 MPG if I'm lucky. So far I've had the following go bad on me:

1) Rear wiper (replaced under extended warantee, just broke again tonight).
2) Belt tensioner (warantee) and belt (my pocket).
3) Transmission cooler hose / connection to radiator (warantee - after I *****ed and threatened never to come back).
4) ABS Speed sensor (warantee)
5) Brake warning light (just some light oil on the parking brake peddle connection).
6) IAC (I'm gonna do this myself - dealer wanted $225).

I've got 30k on mine now so it's not a ton of miles I put on in the past 6 months. I'll admit, I love having a truck but I think this is the last American model I buy. I've had nothing but trouble with American cars and nothing but good with Japanese.

Now, not to be down on Ford (this IS an Explorer board) but I would have been best served to have a mechanic look at it first. They supposidly "ran it through the shop" but they didn't do such a great job apparently. I rushed into this purchase because it was hard to find a V8 (which is the AWD model in our years 00 and 01) period let alone the color / trim I wanted.

Do a search on the board becuase there is a thread with the common problems by year as well as a wealth of other information on the Explorer. Unlike my Maxima board which is nothing but punk kids, this board is full of very helpful people who don't flame every chance they get. If it weren't for this board I think I would have sold the truck already.

I should also note that not many people on here seem to have the 2000 or 2001 model. Not sure why?

I have a '96/'99 mutant V8 AWD. Nothing but good things to say about it. Haven't have any problems at all (cept those I've caused from the Frankenstein process) but a coil pack here and there. I've had mine for over five years now :eek: and would never drive a japanese tin coffin (not that I ever have). :D

If you can get a good deal on one I say do it. Most people here are averaging 15/16 mpg with a stock V8 AWD I'd say.

Thanks alot Guys !
I'll check it out and Probably buy it if it seems ok,
rob

I've got an 01 AWD and love it. I have 61,000 miles with very few problems. I get 13-15mpg, full throttle all the time.:D Thats w/ almost a 32" tire.
Nothing beats AWD in the rain.

Perhaps changing my IAC will help with the gas mileage. I've tried everything else that I could think of :(

Well I bought it, and love it.
2001 explorer. Drove it thru the ice and snow and it was perfect !
now, Why is it such a DOG ! it has a 5.0 and feels like it has a six ?

Because it can't breathe! Intake, exhaust, chip. That should help out. :D

Cool, I'll get on it right away, I'll start with the intake. What type of chip do you recommend?

mines a 2001 4L AWD it cool when it rains and it really rains here :australia

i have a 2000 V8 5.0L AWD mounty w/ 31k on it, bought it for 15k, and today we got about 1/8in of ice thanks to freezing rain, i drove home as i would normaly with my AWD, but a friend of mine w/ his 2WD bairly made it home today after school, AWD ROCKS!!

i only do in town driving, and i average about 11.2mpg

Originally posted by newstang
Well I bought it, and love it.
2001 explorer. Drove it thru the ice and snow and it was perfect !
now, Why is it such a DOG ! it has a 5.0 and feels like it has a six ?

Cause it's about 5000 lbs!!!! Congrats on the new truck - got pics?

I bought a 2000 AWD Limited in August with 27.5K miles on it for about $16K. www.kbb.com put the retail value over $19K when I bought it. So find out what it has and check the retail value on http://www.kbb.com
No problems yet. Well, except for the notorious passenger side exhaust manifold leak. Been too lazy to get it fixed yet.

I get about 12.? mpg intown when I'm driving it. Heavy foot. :D I notice it goes up when the wife drives it for a few days. On the highway we get about 18mpg.

Originally posted by Johnstone
...On the highway we get about 18mpg.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Please tell me why I don't! The dealer said nothing was wrong - no codes thrown.

Originally posted by spta97
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Please tell me why I don't! The dealer said nothing was wrong - no codes thrown.
What size tires and gears are you running?

I'm running 255/70R16 tires with 3.73 gears.

I'm talking about barely getting 18mpg on long trips. And it would be mostly flat Texas terrain.

Back