2001 explorer cranks but wouldn't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 explorer cranks but wouldn't start

explorator_2002

Reaction score
City, State
Riyadh
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello Explorers..

My explorer 2001 is having 250,000 miles on it. Recently replaced the fuel pump from an old explorer due to not starting issues from junk yard. Now it does start if I keep the truck aside for minimum 3-4 hours. But if I tried to start immediate after I switch off the engine, there's no way it it will start other than just cranking. Is it due to clogged fuel injector? low fuel pressure? Any clues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You installed a used fuel pump from an explorer??

Check fuel pressure, should be 64 psi +/- at the rail

Thanks for the reply..
Yes I got it cheap and new one costs a lot in this part of the world and may not be genuine one.
One thing I notice is that if I do not press gas pedal while cranking engine, it starts as usual. Is it a rule that - do not press gas pedal while starting?

Don’t press the gas of any fuel injected vehicle to start it. If you have to, fix the real problem.

Ah you are in KSA!! I have done much work over there, I design elevators for the worlds tallest buildings. Riyadh has plenty of "supertalls"
Now it makes sense why you would use "used" parts.

With electronic fuel injection pressing the throttle to start does nothing to help you, in fact some of these trucks will NOT start with the pedal held to the floor (safety measure)
Can you get your hands on a fuel pressure test gauge? You need to monitor fuel rail pressure when the hard start occurs.

Happy to know you were here..
Here either you get super expensive dealer supplied parts or run to junk yard. My only reliable source of info is this forum as most of the mechanics here are just fixers.
Thanks you all for you valuable info...

Back