2001 Explorer driver's seat broken down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer driver's seat broken down

geetoe

Reaction score
City, State
Vale SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Hi all, my car's driver's seat is broken down and causing me back pain. I frequently drive several hours a day in my job. I have searched this forum and it seems there are no replacement parts for 1st gen cars. What is the difference between generations? Will a later model seat frame and cushions fit? I am not too worried about differences in trim. Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same situation here. I took mine down and partially repaired.
Some of the strings cut into the padding (I added a thin plastic backing) and a spring broke (you can buy replacement springs).
It's better, but the foam cushion is still deformed. Cushion might be replaced with passenger side one, but it is a lot of work to take it all apart.
The whole frame is $100 on eBay.

Cushion might be replaced with passenger side one.

they do. i did this with my drivers seat. the nice thing about that is most of the time the passengers side isnt used as much so it is like brand new. it isnt too bad to replace, maybe a hour or two.

Gee there is a thread somewhere with cross generation interchange. A lot of things will fit such as the seats.

Seats, they just bolt down. If you take the original out and measure the track length and width, you could probably just wonder around a salvage yard and find something that fits from one of several different vehicle makes and models.

Hacking the wiring harness to make any electric controls present, work, is the *fun* part, though it's not all that bad if you just have hot(s) and ground and are willing to cut connectors off and do some splicing, OR salvage the existing seat connector to splice in.

Back