2001 Explorer, idle/oil pressure correlation? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer, idle/oil pressure correlation?

Nexus6

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer
Hello,

I have a question about the possibility of a link between a bad IAC valve and a loss of oil pressure at idle?

The specifics are, truck has been running great. Only major thing so far has been fixing the rear timing chain. Truck has 180K miles on it with regular maintenance. For the last 6 months, it had at times idled a little rough, but nothing serious. Just got back from a cross country trip and had no issues, but it was a hot drive. A week after returning home, she would start up and almost instantly die. I could eventually get it started, but it took some cranking. The next morning I checked the IAC valve and cleaned as much of the carbon as I could and also checked the oil. It was low, so I added some Lucas oil treatment. It started like normal and idled good, but the oil pressure gauge jumped around a little. After driving for about 15 minutes, stopped at a light and the oil pressure gauge bottomed out and the RPM at idle seemed really low (under 500). Tapped the accelerator and RPM and oil pressure went back to normal until it idled back down.

My question is could the oil pressure issue be caused by a bad IAC valve or should I begin preparing myself for bad news? I should add that when at low idle/bottomed out pressure gauge there is no change in how the engine runs or sounds.

Thanks

I could not "clean" my IAC valve, only a new one brought back the idle at normal value.
But, if the low rpm makes the pressure drop below 5psi (the oil pressure switch on/off value), probably you have issues with enlarged bearings gaps.
I have that problem too and I am using 5W40 (Shell Rotella) for a year now. When is really hot outside (like this days) I had to add either Lucas or Liqui Moly. You can also try to put the transmission selector in "N" at stoplights if oil gauge is still flickering.

Well, looks like good news for a change. I replaced the IAC valve and changed the oil and filter (went with 10W-40) and everything seems to be ok. Idles good at stoplights and oil pressure gauge doesn't move from normal. I'll just have to keep an eye on it the next few days.

Back