2001 Explorer Sport 4x4 - modifications to improve fuel economy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport 4x4 - modifications to improve fuel economy?

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I know as mods go trying to improve your fuel economy on an 4x4 SUV falls either into the "lame" or "lamer" category but with $4 gas prices ($70 to fill up my tank) I thought I'd throw this question out and see if there are any suggestions...

I have already replaced the standard air filter w/ a K&N oil-based filter and check my tire pressure on a regular (compulsively) basis. I also try to change my fuel filter about every ~10k miles (just b/c it's easy to do and the filters aren't expensive). I also do full synthetic oil changes (side question: what is the best synthetic oil to get for my truck?) every 5k miles.

Right now, after adopting a couple "hypermile" driving techniques, I've been able to get my mileage up to 16-18 mpg but I'm curious if there are any cost-effective (possibly DIY) mods out there that might help boost this further?

A guy I know told me that replacing the standard sparkplugs w/ quality racing-class plugs (along w/ some of the engine wiring) might improve my mpg but I'm not sure how reliable a source he is.

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can afford a SCT xcal tuner, consider that.. It has some great benefits including increase in MPG, HP, etc. Not to mention you can download a custom tune for it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44372

read either that if you have lots of time, or for the short version go to

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137531.

i use amsoil all around and have been very pleased with it, up to 9,000 miles on this set and oil analysis still shows its good.

bang for your buck the spark plugs won't help much unless you get at least a high performance coil to go with it, and also an engine tune.

Thanks for pointing me to these - I'm "parsing" now and have bookmarked it for a full fine-combed read later this evening. Hopefully I can figure out which of these will give the best "bang for buck" (factoring in my own relative inexperience)...

One quick question: The 1999XLT mentioned in the threads you pointed me to is a 2WD V8, correct?

What differences should I consider then btwn his truck and my own 2001 Explorer Sport 4WD; will my mod options be more limited?

If you can afford a SCT xcal tuner, consider that.. It has some great benefits including increase in MPG, HP, etc. Not to mention you can download a custom tune for it.

Should I be looking at the "Economizer" tuner:

http://www.sctflash.com/Economizer.php

Or is there an older model that might serve my needs equally well as my 2001 Expl. Sport isn't exactly on the cutting edge of tech. these days...?

I can tell you what not to do.LOL

Don't lift it and put on 33" tires. They killed my gas mileage. It went from 16 to around 12mpg hwy. Fortunately, mine is just a utility vehicle these days. I really don't care about the mileage as long as I can still pull a trailer and screw around off road once in awhile.

Good luck with your project.

I can tell you what not to do.LOL

Don't lift it and put on 33" tires. They killed my gas mileage. It went from 16 to around 12mpg hwy. Fortunately, mine is just a utility vehicle these days. I really don't care about the mileage as long as I can still pull a trailer and screw around off road once in awhile.

Good luck with your project.

I get about 16 highway, 4.10 gears.

I get about 16 highway, 4.10 gears.

Mine has 3.73s and has to work pretty hard to get moving. I wish it had 4.10s or 4.56s. I'd just have to keep the speed down on the hwy.

I recently rebuilt my trans that was slipping, so I'll have to run a few tanks through to see how it does now. It is a little better so far, but I've been driving 100% city pulling a couple thousand pounds everytime.

Ok, here's something that might help MPG a little. New brake rotors/pads, backed off e-brake shoes, and new Torsen diff and bearings, and now the sluggish dragging feeling is gone. Changed them all together, so not sure what had the most effect.

This morning, I had to do a brake job on my Explorer to get ready for a road trip. Started with the rear end. I noticed the rear axle vent tube was loose where it attached to the housing, so I pulled the diff cover to make sure everything was OK. The fluid was full of water and looked like a milkshake. The bearings were already messed up from the water even though I just replaced them and the LS diff last summer. The axle shafts were scored too. Fortunately, I had an extra complete rear axle asy laying around that donated its axle shafts. I recently got a new 31 spline Torsen diff with bearings and gears for my Mustang, but threw all of it in the X instead. Then the parking/emergency brake shoes had signs of dragging. Since I never use my e-brake, I backed the adjusters off a little to eliminate contact.

The truck actually coasts now when off throttle. It wants to pull forward while sitting at a light even though it only idles at 600rpm. It moves alot easier on the expressway too. I put 50 miles on it this evening loaded with 800#s of bricks and blocks, but the gas gauge hasn't moved off F. Get to put another 100+ miles on it tomorrow with a 3000# trailer, so we'll see how that goes.

Feels great now, but I still want 4.56 gears.:D

If I were starting from scratch now, I would start with the following mods:

(1) underdrive pulleys
(2) electric fan
(3) full synthetic fluids everywhere
(4) synthetic wheel bearing grease
(5) free flowing air intake ( such as a Mac )
(6) custom cat back exhaust with 2 1/2" piping
(7) custom computer tune designed for max mileage

That should get you going.

Good luck with your quest, my friend ...

calisoundmix: Thanks for the pointer to the summary thread.

ATM I'm researching the investment required by (1, 2, 5, 6) mods above... but since you all have been such a good resource I thought I'd throw it out to you all as well...

I've already got synthetic fluids and can purchase one of the SCT xcal tuners for $300-700 (depending on which model I get)... I'm thinking more and more this might be a good investment but still have to factor in the "screw something up" potential it adds which, for me, is probably significant.

shortstack suggested underdrive pulleys as well earlier in this thread however after reading up on his HHO generator suggestion I've decided to forgo this latter option as these kits seem waaayyy out of my league (although truth be told, beyond fluid and filters, most of these mods are already past my expertise... but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it) and a bit too experimental.

How much can I expect to spend on these mods assuming that I will need to bring my truck into a shop to get them installed...?

Will these mods incur additional cost to maintain?

(my truck is pushing 90k right now but I've always babied her as best I knew how ex. full synthetic since 35k & replaced all of the shocks/struts @ 60k, Chevron gas & techron fuel system cleaner every 5k miles as well)

Backstory: My fiance is pushing me to get a more efficient car but aside from being completely paid off this truck has sentimental value (parents helped me buy it as grad present... okay more info than y'all need... sob story aside, the point is that I'd like to be able to justify keeping her by improving her fuel usage w/o spending the equivalent of a downpayment on mods & maintenance).

I hear you... Ok.. I have a 97 Mounty AWD with the 5.0L V8 an when I bought it (2 yrs ago, used) I was getting about 15 mixed and 18 on the highway. The only things I did were:

1 - Oil change with Pennzoil synthetic
2 - Keep tires inflated properly
3 - K&N CAI
4 - Custom CATback Flowmaster Series 40 exhaust.

With the oil change to synthetic, I noticed an improvement in local driving, from 15 to about 15.5 No noticable change in highway mileage.

Tire pressure gave me another little boost; went to 17/19

Putting the K&N CAI and the CATback showed the bst improvement; I'm now getting around 18 local and (only when I stick to the speed limit and drive like my Dad) I once got a little over 23 on the highway. A recent trip to Maine (450 miles through hilly terrain with three people and LOT of gear) yielded 22.2 mpg.

Back and forth to work, I'm averaging around 20 combined. I used to get 270 miles out of a full tank and I now get around 360.

Of course, all this goes out the window if I get on it 'cause I love the sound of the Flowmaster... makes me feel like it's 1969 all over again....

Anyway... As to cost, the K&N ran me around $180 or so, and the custom exhaust (Flowmaster 40 Series with 2.5" tailpipe) was $381.00 (including tax) installed at my local Meineke Muffler Shop.

Best of luck,

Mike

(snip)ATM I'm researching the investment required by (1, 2, 5, 6) mods above... but since you all have been such a good resource I thought I'd throw it out to you all as well...

I've already got synthetic fluids and can purchase one of the SCT xcal tuners for $300-700 (depending on which model I get)... I'm thinking more and more this might be a good investment but still have to factor in the "screw something up" potential it adds which, for me, is probably significant.

Will these mods incur additional cost to maintain?

(1) underdrive pulleys --- bolt on and forget it. Same durability as stock.

(2) electric fan --- bolt on and forget it.

(5) free flowing air intake ( such as a Mac ) --- Buy it once and that's it. Remove filter and clean at the regular air filter replacement interval.
(6) custom cat back exhaust with 2 1/2" piping --- generally lasts about as long as the factory equipment if stainless steel pipe is used.
(7)custom tune --- flash in new tune and forget it. You can change it whenever you need to though.

The items you're considering won't need any additional cost past initial install. Might want to check on them occasionally to make sure everything is OK, but that's true for the factory parts too.

lucas fuel additive. Its about $8 for a big bottle and all you have to use is 3oz for every 10 gals of gas. Helps drive up your mpgs.

(1) underdrive pulleys --- bolt on and forget it. Same durability as stock.

(2) electric fan --- bolt on and forget it.

(5) free flowing air intake ( such as a Mac ) --- Buy it once and that's it. Remove filter and clean at the regular air filter replacement interval.
(6) custom cat back exhaust with 2 1/2" piping --- generally lasts about as long as the factory equipment if stainless steel pipe is used.
(7)custom tune --- flash in new tune and forget it. You can change it whenever you need to though.

The items you're considering won't need any additional cost past initial install. Might want to check on them occasionally to make sure everything is OK, but that's true for the factory parts too.

Will any of the exhaust mods conflict with a class III receiver hitch?

Most aftermarket kits exit right where the stock tailpipe does. If you have an exhaust custom made, just make sure they keep the tailpipe(s) over far enough to not be a problem.

Stevie Ray

I hear you... Ok.. I have a 97 Mounty AWD with the 5.0L V8 an when I bought it (2 yrs ago, used) I was getting about 15 mixed and 18 on the highway. The only things I did were:

1 - Oil change with Pennzoil synthetic
2 - Keep tires inflated properly
3 - K&N CAI
4 - Custom CATback Flowmaster Series 40 exhaust.

With the oil change to synthetic, I noticed an improvement in local driving, from 15 to about 15.5 No noticable change in highway mileage.

Tire pressure gave me another little boost; went to 17/19

Putting the K&N CAI and the CATback showed the bst improvement; I'm now getting around 18 local and (only when I stick to the speed limit and drive like my Dad) I once got a little over 23 on the highway. A recent trip to Maine (450 miles through hilly terrain with three people and LOT of gear) yielded 22.2 mpg.

Back and forth to work, I'm averaging around 20 combined. I used to get 270 miles out of a full tank and I now get around 360.

Of course, all this goes out the window if I get on it 'cause I love the sound of the Flowmaster... makes me feel like it's 1969 all over again....

Anyway... As to cost, the K&N ran me around $180 or so, and the custom exhaust (Flowmaster 40 Series with 2.5" tailpipe) was $381.00 (including tax) installed at my local Meineke Muffler Shop.

Best of luck,

Mike

Hey Mike,
I have 99 ex w/4.0 SOC, 4wd. I have a K&N filter only. I am getting at last check, 20.5mpg as my base-line. I plan a few intake mods to try. They will be easily reversed if mpg suffers. I'll post any success which should be good for many cars & trucks (w/EFI). Later, I hope to try headers & more exhaust. One thing I had great success w/on my last project was a cross-over pipe right after cat. Improved low-end torque & mpg (if I kept my foot from the TB).
Till then,
Stevie Ray

You know this thread and that post are 5 years old right?

If you have any questions, we'd love to help, but, the member you were responding to hasn't logged in since last year, so he might not respond.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back