2001 Explorer Sport 5.0 swap/Mustang ECU and T5 questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport 5.0 swap/Mustang ECU and T5 questions

Grambo

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I am planning to swap a 5.0 into my newly purchased 2001 Explorer Sport, rwd 5 spd. I have a rebuilt 98 Explorer 5.0 that is no longer DIS. I has GT40X heads, E303 cam and a Ron Francis standalone wiring harness, and A9L ECM. The engine and T5 tranny was going into my '93 Splash that was totaled. I like to swap this into the Sport, but I have a few questions I couldn't find the answers to in my searches:
1. Can I still use the Mustang oil pan with no issues?
2. Would my Patriot long tube headers clear the Sport frame?

I know I will have to deal with the T5 shifter placement issue and switching the fuel system to from returnless to return. Also unsure as to how to drive the Sport speedometer as my harness calls for VSS. I understand PATs won't be an issue if I'm using the A9L. Am I missing anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no go on the pan. it will hit either the power steering rack, or cross member. as for the headers, if they are for a mustang, i dont think they will fit without cutting them up, and moving the piping around

Yeah, thought the pan wouldn't work. Unsure about the headers, they are Patriot Tri-Y headers that work for Ranger swaps. New to the Explorer world. Any ideas if my T5 VSS will work with the 2001 Explorer speedometer?

Those headers probably work on 83-97 Ranger swaps, not the '98+ torsion bar trucks.

So based on what I've read, my only header options for my GT40X heads are Torque Monsters or cast stock manifolds?

There are also the OBX knockoffs of the Torque Monster headers. Most of the feedback about them has been strongly negative, however.

I'll trade you for a set of Patriot Tri-Ys LOL. Last question, can I use the T5 VSS to drive the 2001 Sport speedometer?

I'll trade you for a set of Patriot Tri-Ys LOL. Last question, can I use the T5 VSS to drive the 2001 Sport speedometer?

I think that will work. The old VSS signal from the transmission should be what the speedometers are expecting.

The 98-01 speedometers didn't change how they worked when Ford did away with the VSS in 1998. The 98-01 trucks route the rear ABS signal to the ABS module, and that send a VSS signal to the speedometer(and PCM). So your VSS signal will run the speedometer just fine.

There are also the OBX knockoffs of the Torque Monster headers. Most of the feedback about them has been strongly negative, however.

Have these on my truck now. I used thicker aftermarket gaskets and had to notch the manifold ears to get spark plugs in, i did have to dent in one primary because of the tall valve covers I'm using, but otherwise they fit great?

That's encouraging. Somewhere down the road after the swap is complete I may look at them again.

Back