2001 Explorer Sport can stock intake plenum Handle turbo? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport can stock intake plenum Handle turbo?

JohnH55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4x4
I know there are turbo kits but one thing I'm having a hard time finding is if the stock plastic plenum can handle turbo charger. If not where can I get a intake plenum/ manifold that can?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go the blower route it's been done with great results imo

I see it's been done tho. BurningRANGERtires' 4.0 Turbo Build - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource
Thanks, but that thread uses the stock intake plenum, I'm looking for something to replace it, I'm not certain but throwing boost into plastic doesn't sound like a good idea. Also I thought about a super charger, but finding one and fabrication of the mount sounds pretty hard. I Know there is a good kit a lot of people use but finding a supercharger from a old Thunderbird is harder now a days.

Morana sells an aluminum intake for $950.

@JohnH55 That plastic intake can handle 3 psi

No need to make intake arts for a supercharger everything you need can be bought in a set for 2 grand

Click the link in my signature

@JohnH55 That plastic intake can handle 3 psi

No need to make intake arts for a supercharger everything you need can be bought in a set for 2 grand

Click the link in my signature

This sounds stupid but I'm still new to the forums. Where is the link?

Morana sells an aluminum intake for $950.

Thanks, they have a ton of aftermarket parts. After I get another Daily driver I want to build my explorer, up.

The intake has to take a certain amount of vacuum and stand-up to a backfire. I would think it would take 6-8lbs and beyond that you are running into cooling issues or too much for the engine to take anyway. It certainly needs a blow-off valve so when under boost and you let off, that excess pressure has somewhere to go.

Back