2001 explorer sport...doors detent/stay worn out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 explorer sport...doors detent/stay worn out

Chloe Ann Sodomire

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4WD
Has anyone else had their door detent/retention wheels fail or wear out? Both driver n passenger doors on mine have completely failed. I'm not sure what I do to fix this. None of the local parts stores even carry parts for this. Help???

May need to replace both LOWER hinges that have the rubber rollers. Sounds like a weak or broken spring plate. Any popping when you open or close the doors? Priced to gouge, and only sold in pairs including the upper. Used or salvage yard maybe? Part #1L5Z-1022800-AA

EDIT- I know you have a two-door Sport, but looking at my Sport Trac, the front and rear lower hinges "appear" identical except for the raised edge on the front roller. If you look closely, the front hinge in the left pic has an added shim under the spring plate, and is spaced out further to add more pressure on the rubber roller. Adding a shim may be worth trying. Trick would be getting the right thickness, installing it under the plate, and securing it from movement.

8saNH3E.jpg
vCk3HGM.jpg

Back