• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer sport Engine Noise

scott3204

Reaction score
City, State
carrollton Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Help Please!! at least any insight, had been looking around at postings on this and im leaning that valve train is rattling some. Since sounds like a rattle at times rather that ticking, could this be a cam ordeal, and common problem with this motor?
Its the 4.0 with 134000 miled, had checked for any leaks, loose bolts etc, and just certain its on the inside valve area. I had changed the oil, added lucus, ( engine flushed a change before) and like all said in other post helped at bit at first, but rattles a bit later.
Truck still drives like a champ, good power, easy starting, no smoking, no rough anything.( cept kinda sounds like a soft diesel if that makes sense)
Is it cool to keep driving for now? Is this somewhat an easy fix to complete or do I Look for another engine?
Thanks for any thoughts...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

overhead valve ?or overhead cam?

Sorry bout that, its a SOHC 4.0

Identify source

If the rattle is located in the upper left front, the lower center front or the upper right rear then it could be due to timing chain/guide/tensioner wear. Timing chain rattle is usually worst at engine cold start before the oil gets to the chains. If the rattle is uniform front to back under the valve covers it could be lifter noise but the engine flush and oil change should have reduced the rattle.

Have you ever replaced the timing chain tensioners? The right rear one is similar in effort to replacing the right rear spark plug. The intake manifold must be removed to replace the left front tensioner.

Changing the right rear timing chain/cassette requires pulling the engine or transmission. Changing the left front or lower center front chains requires removing the front timing cover.

Unless you purchase a remanufactured engine with all new chains/cassettes/tensioners it could have the same problems as yours.

Some members have driven their vehicles tens of thousands of miles with chain rattle without catastrophic failure. However, the longer the repair is delayed the greater the chance of chain slippage or breaking. The SOHC V6 is an interference engine. If a chain breaks there is the possibility that pistons and valves will collide.

My father and I are in the middle of this repair right now.. Having trouble finding individual parts as I don't need the chains. Jackshaft tensioner/guides and balance shaft tensioner and guide and gaskets. Any ideas/websites to get the parts?

Havent got that far myself on the locating the parts, but I think 2000Streetrod got it nailed as can really relate the noise to the timing chain now and totally never thought of that as a potencial culprit. In either case (Lifters or timing chain) sounds like got to really get down into it to fix and can review both. If dont mind me asking was the rattling noise reason for you breaking down and parts really worn?

Parts vs kit

My father and I are in the middle of this repair right now.. Having trouble finding individual parts as I don't need the chains. Jackshaft tensioner/guides and balance shaft tensioner and guide and gaskets. Any ideas/websites to get the parts?

I doubt that you'll find the individual parts anywhere except from a Ford dealer. I've been looking at tousleyfordparts.com (forum vendor), fordgenuinepartsonline.com, silverstatefordparts.com and tascafordparts.com
I plan to make a list of the individual parts I need and then total up the cost and compare to purchasing a complete kit containing parts I don't need.

I have not found any source for the upper guide assemblies that don't also contain the chains.

In my opinion the most durable parts are the sprockets, next most durable are the chains and the least durable are the plastic guides. The tensioners' durability are between the chains and the guides.

Back