2001 Explorer Sport Fenders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport Fenders

DevinG

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport SAS
I have a 2001 explorer sport that i put one ton axles under. Full width dana 60 in the front and a sterling ten a quarter in the rear so…. its really wide. On top of that i am running a 37x13.5 tire on it so i have 8 inches of tire poking out of the body. I have seen one set of 4" fiberglass fenders that i might try for the front by Mcneil Racing. My question is if the sport trace fenders will bolt to my sport and has anyone seen any fiberglass pre runner style fenders for the rear?
Thanks
Devin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fenders, hood, front bumper, grille, are identical on the '01-'03 Explorer Sports and '01-'05 Sport Tracs, so yes, Sport Trac fenders will bolt right onto your '01 Sport.

Can't help you with the rear.

They sell 4 and 6" wide fenders and bedsides for the '01-05 Sport Trac which shares the same frontend as the '01-03 Sport. For the rear they probably do make Explorer Sport body sides just like the 4 door Ex's. Hopefully some of the desert racing members will chime in and help out.

Check out this build thread and ask him if he is doing something about tire coverage on his Sport. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349040&page=4

Also ask Dan if he knows of bodysides for the Sport.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301421

Oh ya, where's the pictures of your rig or build thread? I would really like to see how you have yours setup. I'll be dealing with tis issue when I get my SAS done because I'm running 37's on recentered H1 double beadlocks, they stick out about 5"s and Pa laws, especially Alleghany County are really strict on this.

Im really sorry not getting back to you guys.
This is what i have found out,

Mcneil racing offers a 4" and 6" fiberglass fender for the sport that are $300 and $250 to ship which i found outrageous and no one can answer me why its so much to ship these things

Hannenman fiberglass makes a set of 5" fiberglass fenders that are $250 a piece and $150 to ship.

Everyother fiberglass items I've seen are one piece noses and i don't want to go that route.

As for my build i don't have a thread and i didn't take any pictures along the way of my build because i was just trying to get it done before winter so i didn't have to drive my car but with school and work I'm cutting it close. I got my inspiration from 1 Mean X and almost followed his thread.

I used an astro van steering box and i am having trouble finding a pitman arm for it. The one i have on there now is too short and the steering box is maxed out before the axle turns all the way.

I have square body chevy 4" leaf springs i believe they are 47" long.

Like i said i have a dana 60 king pin and a sterling 10 and a quarter rear with 4.10s

High steer conversion

If you guys have any questions on it id be glad to help you out or take pictures

Thanks
Devin

Im really sorry not getting back to you guys.
This is what i have found out,

Mcneil racing offers a 4" and 6" fiberglass fender for the sport that are $300 and $250 to ship which i found outrageous and no one can answer me why its so much to ship these things

Hannenman fiberglass makes a set of 5" fiberglass fenders that are $250 a piece and $150 to ship.

Thanks
Devin

Because sipping materials aren't free nor is the time to crate them up so they don't get damaged. By my calculations the McNeil are still $50 less than the Hannenman.

Wow, didn't know it was that much for shipping but they are fragile and shipped as bulk larger palletized shipment. I'm guessing the insurance on the shipment is a good portion of the cost, just a guess.

If can take pictures of your truck from the sides and front. I'd really like to see how you have the suspension and steering setup.

Yeah Mcneils are a better quality from what I've read and they would be $100 cheaper overall

I'll get you some good pictures for this weekend

Thanks man. I'll be getting McNeill fenders eventually as well. Gotta finish my SAS after winter.

Really interested in seeing this as well.

I have a D60 kingpin and D70 in the garage waiting for attention.

Shipping on something like that is expensive because it's bulky, but doesn't weigh much, so the freight companies charge according to the space used. Normally they charge by weight, but in this case, you've got maybe 100-150 pounds, including the crating and the pallet, that's using the same amount of space that they can put 2000 pounds or more in, so they charge you for several hundred pounds. UPS and Fedex do the same with extra charges for oversized packages even if they don't weigh much.

The seller also has extra expense for materials and labor for the crating to see that the fenders get to you safely.

Really sorry it took so long to get back on here. I finally got my explorer done and somewhat street worthy. I have to finish putting the plastics back on and adjust some stuff. I have a slight driveshaft vibration that i have to try to fix and my shocks will be in monday but i put 100 miles on it today and there wasn't even a hiccup. Im not running any trace bars or sways bars and honestly its pretty steady. I can't figure out how to post pictures so if someone could tell me the easiest way that'd be great.

You can either become a paid "elite member" or use photobucket to upload pictures and videos.

Back