2001 Explorer Sport has no spark.

shockleyjd

Reaction score
City, State
Muncie, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 sport
Hello,

Just want to start by saying this is awesome the information that is available on this sight. I just bought this Explorer for my daughter, so I am a new owner of the Explorer.

Got the Explorer with an engine that ran but the rear timing chain was bad(noisy). Got a replacement engine from a local parts yard, seller claimed he heard it run. Did the swap without any issues and assumed just a plug and play swap. Done many other engine swaps with no issues, this one has me stumped!

Can not get spark at all from coil. Engine turns over fine and has fuel pressure. I have swapped the coil, cam sensor and crank sensor from the old engine. Still no spark. Checked all connections, in case i miss the first time. I am to the point of changing the ECM but that doesn't make since due to the fact that the previous engine did run.

Any suggestions on what I'm missing?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

coil supply voltage?

Does the CHECK light come on when the ignition key is in Run?

Does the THEFT light rapidly flash when the ignition key is in Run or Start?

Did you check for battery voltage to the ignition coil (between red/light green wire and gnd) when the ignition switch is in Run? If no voltage, check fuse in central junction box (fuse 19 on my 2000).

Did you connect the ground strap between the PCM and the firewall?

Did you connect the ground strap between the engine and the firewall?

2001 Explorer Sport no spark

Check engine light come on when key is on Run. I have hooked up scanner but no codes.

Theft light doesn't flash rapidly. Being new to me when I noticed it flashing slowly with key off and out I was hoping it was the key, not the case. I found out that it is supposed to flash slowly.

I have 12 volts on red/green wire to coil. I had checked that before and changed the coil with power going to it. No luck.

Both straps are grounded to the firewall(made that mistake on another vehicle swap, swore that wouldn't happen again) However, I did loosen the bolts and cleaned the termials, just in case. No luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately I still don't have any spark.

Interesting problem

How are you determining that there is no spark?

Are you using the original engine wiring harness or the replacement engine wiring harness?

I assume that you are using the original PCM since your THEFT light is not blinking rapidly.

Is your replacement engine out of an Explorer? What year?

The following is based on my 2000 wiring diagrams. There may be changes on your 2001.

There are only a few components associated with ignition: Fuse 19 to supply battery power to the coil, ignition coil, radio noise capacitor, PCM, anti-theft, and crankshaft position sensor. If the PCM determines there is no anti-theft issue then it fires each coil section by interrupting the primary circuit at the correct instant based on input from the crankshaft position sensor.

Since you have a CHECK light at ignition Run you have power to the PCM.

Since you have battery power at the coil that eliminates a blown Fuse 19 and a shorted radio noise capacitor. I suggest that you disconnect the PCM connector, then turn the ignition switch to run and check for battery voltage at the PCM connector on pin 26 (tan/white), pin 52 (tan/orange) and pin 78 (tan/light green). If you have battery voltage on all three wires that verifies the continuity of the primary wiring to the PCM connector. Then switch the ignition to Off. Check for continuity between pin 21 (dark blue) and pin 22 (gray). That verifies the crankshaft position sensor and associated wiring. Make sure that none of the PCM connector pins are pushed back enough that they will not make contact when the connector is reinstalled. Reconnect the PCM connector making sure that it is fully seated. Do not overtighten the connector hold down bolt. Check for spark again since there may have been a poor PCM connection.

2001 Explorer Sport Got spark and running!

Thank you! I've done several searches for the wire diagram and haven't found it. Your information is what I needed.

Pulled the harness from the pcm and tested the wires via poking them and then sicking the tester in pin holes. I had power in the corisponding number wires and continuity in the crank sensor wires. Plugged back in and still no start.

Took back apart and began pushing on the wires. As you said, sure enough the pins from 21 to 26 were about half out. Pushed back in and fired on first crank of the starter!

Thanks again! The sad part of this is I have been trying for the past week on and off changing things and checking all sorts of things. When I got the replacement engine they had cut the alternator wires and I was going to swap the entire harness but it looked like I would have to remove the entire intake so I spiced the alternator wires and didn't swap it. That extra 30 minutes and new intake gaskets would have been worth it.

Fantastic helpful post 2000StreetRod, a big :thumbsup: to ya!:salute:

Glad to see another old retired geezer that likes grease under his fingernails! Those are some nice helpful thread posts you've made. Looks like you have waaaaay too much time on your hands!:D:D

Back