2001 Explorer Sport Lift Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport Lift Questions

XSport2001

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
01' Sport
Hello, just purchased a new 2001 Ford Explorer Sport yesterday with about 50K miles (hey it made it cheap!) Anyways, I'm already looking for what to put on it/in it. I want about 6-8" lift total, so I'm looking at the Explorer Sport Trac suspension lift for 01's (trailmaster) which will give me 4" and the Explorer Sport Trac body lift (performace accessories) which will give me another 3", so total 7". Should I also do TT/Warrior shackles? I really want Mickey Thompson Radials Baja Claws 33x10.5 on it. I am also looking for a roof rack with KC lighting, and a brush guard with KC lighting. Taillight guards on the back. Flowmaster 40 series exhaust- anyone got the website for this? What model should I use for this exhaust system? Obviously, I'm adding a skid plate to protect from those nasty lil rocks. As far as inside, im looking at the following:
Speaker Replacements
Front Door: 5x7- Rockford Fosgate FRC4257 $100
Rear Seat Side Panels: 5x7- Rockford Fosgate FRC4257 $100

Speaker Replacements Amplifier
Profile 640SX 4x75W $190

Subwoofer Enclosure
MTX Tri-Sub Enclosure $200

Subwoofer Amplifier
Profile 640SX 4x75W $190

CD/MP3 Receiver
Rockford Fosgate RFX9120 $230

The prices are from Crutchfield.com, who I have to plug for being great at service- Please help this newbee I'm looking for your advice- thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to get into some serious wheeling, do a SAS (solid axle swap). That will give you some decent flex, and around 8" of lift. Do a search, there are quite a few people doing it. Here's the Flowmaster site.

Well, my X Sport isn't 4x4, so I can't do a SAS switch on the front because it isn't a solid axle, wont work on 2x4. 01Sport suggested a Ranger body lift, a 4" performance accessories lift, ad a front drive shaft. Any suggestions 'sides those?

Originally posted by XSport2001
Well, my X Sport isn't 4x4, so I can't do a SAS switch on the front because it isn't a solid axle, wont work on 2x4. 01Sport suggested a Ranger body lift, a 4" performance accessories lift, ad a front drive shaft. Any suggestions 'sides those?

A solid axle swap means removing the IFS you have up there now and fabbing in a new one.

Then to make it a true 4wd, you'd need to add a transfer-case and a front driveshaft. As it is now, you don't have a transfer-case, so adding a front driveshaft is impossible. To add the t-case you'd need to pick up a 4wd transmission, or if possible, just the t-case adapter and the t-case.

If you want to stay 2wd then all you can get are 3" Explorer Pro Comp lift spindles. Then you could crank your Torsion bars for another 3". Do a SOA in the rear to match the front and thats it. You could add a body lift to get you around 7 or 8".

Originally posted by Texplorer
If you want to stay 2wd then all you can get are 3" Explorer Pro Comp lift spindles. Then you could crank your Torsion bars for another 3". Do a SOA in the rear to match the front and thats it. You could add a body lift to get you around 7 or 8".

The 2wds have torsion bars?

XSport2001 Welcome to the site!

I have an 01 Sport converted to a STREET. Take a look at my site for alot of cross reference and idea's. Let me know if you need any help.

Originally posted by Robb
Come on Cory. What do you think is up there?

New body style 2wd F150s have coil springs.

The 98+ Rangers had coil springs unless they were the Trailhead or Edge version.

So I assumed the Explorers would be the same.

dude you can fit 33x10.5s easily, with about 2 inches, a stock 01 ranger can fit it, coil spacers and shackles would do it. for 33x12.5s, a 4" suspension would be your best option. for 35s, 4" suspension + 3" body

Still looking at just a simple 4" Trailmaster or Superlift kit for the Sport Trac with a 3" body lift for the ranger by Performance Accesssories along with a front drive shaft (any recommendations) and of course 33x10.5 Baja Claws, Wheels, Brush guard, other exterior mods, but for suspension and lift I'm not sure about Torsion twist or warrior shackles, still new to all this and trying to figure out whats best. I researched stereo today and I figure through StereoDomain.com I can bring it down to below $700 for everything I want, and installation for this and the suspension will be me and my father, so I can save some there. Anyways, if any one else has tips or ideas, feel free to share :D Goin out of town this weekend, talk to everyone Monday!
-Alex

Why do you want 7 inches of lift to fit 33x10.50's? With stock wheels you can fit that size tire with just a TT.

what are you smoking? your ex will look goofy as hell lifted 6" with only 33x10.5s, lift smaller or get bigger tires

It is a good amount of lift for 33s, but go for 12.5s. Also, just go for the 2" BL.

Bump....Not to be a thread hijacker (this one was dead anyway) but i have an 02 sport and i want to go with 33x12.5's. I am gonna do tt/shackles. The question after all my searches that i cant find a answer to is what kit to order. Is it the ranger kit (pa883) or the sport trac (PA70023) kit?? Come on guys help me out here! :D

Hey XSport if your in Nashville we should meet up sometime, i go to school at UT but i go home to Nashville sometimes.

Back