2001 Explorer Sport Low Beams won't go off period! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport Low Beams won't go off period!

danthefordman

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4x4 & 2003 XLT
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport and the low beam headlights will not go off period. I can remove the key, the headlight switch is off, and the low beams remain on. They will not shut off after an hour or more. The only way I have managed to shut them off is by removing the two fuses in the engine compartment box...one for the left low beam headlight and one for the right low beam headlight. So now I am using the fog lights as low beams, and the high beams work fine as normal.
I installed a new Hi/Low Beam/Signal Switch (Multifunction Switch), and no difference...low beam lights will remain on as before.
Can anyone help? Is it the GEM Module behind the radio?? Has anyone had this problem before? I can't seem to find any threads where people have had this exact problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your Ex have automatic lights or just manual?

Can you get automatic lights on a Sport?

Otherwise, check that the relay isn't jammed on.

It does not have the automatic lights option. I have replaced the headlight relay as well, with no results.

Have you taken out the headlamp switch yet? Check it's plug and wiring to see if it is melted. If that's all good, have the lights on and unplug the switch (with the switch in the off position) to see if it is the cause.

The power is routed through the switch, they can overheat and melt.

So far I have removed the panel and steel plate under the steering wheel, so I can see the headlight switch.....the wiring plug that plugs into the headlight switch appears okay, doesn't appear melted at all. I haven't yet removed the headlight switch, as it appears that is a bit more time consuming than I had time for. I also unplugged the gem module harness and plugged it back in, and still same problem...low beams won't go off period. I will do some research on how to remove the headlight switch if you think that may be the problem.

Nopers......the low beams still stay on. :-(

I had the same problem. Check the light delay on your rear view mirror . turn it off so the green light isn't blinking.

I don't have that option with the light delay on the rear view mirror.

Leave the fuses in for the headlights, in the underhood fuse box, pull fuse 11 and 12 separately, they should be a 15 and a 30 amp fuse. Tell me if anything happens when those are pulled separately.

I had this problem but disconnecting the battery solved it for me. On mine i figured it must have been a stuck relay.

Lights stayed on with the switch off and key out. Very irritating

Can you get automatic lights on a Sport?

Otherwise, check that the relay isn't jammed on.

Yes you can. 2 of my 99 SOHC sports had the auto lights and compass option. My current 2wd 97 SOHC sport has the compass but no auto lights, I also don't have factory leather in this one and the other 2 had leather

I just replaced the headlight switch, and still the low beam lights remain on with the key off. I also reset the PCM by removing the negative battery cable and jumping a wire between the negative cable and the positive cable while the negative cable was off for 15mins and that did nothing. Running out of ideas here people! :)

Happened to me once when I was in Alberta and it was so cold the lights remained on.
My daytime lights have never worked since I purchased the vehicle used and some say it might be the DRL module.

I had this problem when i had my 96 and it was the DRL module. I believe there was a dedicated fuse for the DRLs and I just pulled it out. I wired my fog-lights to come on when the vehicle was running and they became my new DRLs. Kept the DRL fuse out.

Finally figured it out.....was a faulty DRL Module!

So after months of frustration, thanks to the posts of gargoylze and 1996EB which planted a seed in my mind to try the Daytime Running Light Module, it turned out that it was the DRL Module which was causing the problem. Not sure which Engineer at Ford decided to put this module up behind the front bumper in a place you can barely get to with your hands, but they should have to replace a few hundred of these Modules themselves so they find a more accessible place for it next time. Anyway, after replacing the headlight switch, dimmer/signal switch, and disconnecting the battery, and unplugging almost every fuse and relay on my 2001 Sport, after replacing the DRL Module it solved the problem!
Thanks to all of you who offered help, and I hope posting this thread helps out someone else in the future! :)

I'm glad that you got it fixed. The location of the DRL module is a giant "PITA", and that's why I used my alternate fix.

2001 ford explorer sport low beams won't turn off. there is no DRL on this vehicle. It happened after jumped off another vehicle with low battery problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back