2001 Explorer Sport (not sport trac) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport (not sport trac)

tongy66086

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City area
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Explorer Sport, 4.0L, auto, 4X4.
Recently, my transmission has started shifting hard, and the O/D light is flashing. There has been no other lights on the dash come on. Also, for about 10 miles after I restart the engine, the light is not on and the things shifts perfectly.
I've done some google searching on this, and it sounds like the transmission is slowly dying.
I've priced rebuilt transmissions, and considering the truck has nearly 250K miles on it, it's not worth the price of a rebuilt.
What I'm hoping that someone can tell me, but only if they know what they're talking about, is what other years of Explorer that the transmissions are matches.
Also, will the full size Explorer and Explorer Sport interchange?
I really appreciate your help and input on this.
I really like driving this truck and it's been one of the better vehicles I've ever owned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your symptom sounds like the transmission fluid pressure solenoid. It's easy to replace, just pull down the pan and identify the solenoid, take off the bracket and it just pulls out; replace with a new one. I have had good results swapping out only the valve body with a tested one, too. To answer your question: all 4x4 transmissions for your setup are the same whether 4 door or 2 door, whether AWD or 4WD. You CANNOT swap a 2WD tranny with a 4WD or AWD tranny as a plug-n-play operation. If you swap the tranny/transfer case together, the transfer case has to match the original. The best thing for you is to change only the transmissions if you go that route, because you know the condition of your transfer case. But for pure ease and least expense, I swap out the valve bodies, because they are so inexpensive these days.

Thanks for the help. I'll give that a shot before transmission shopping.
I'll post back with what happens.

Ok, I have searched O'Reilly, Autozone and NAPA and none of them come back with a match for "transmission fluid pressure solenoid".
I've also tried different words....switch, sensor, transmission oil....still no matches.
Would you know a part number?

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS TCS92 Automatic trans.; 5 speed trans.; Pressure Control Solenoid: from Rock Auto, about $80. According to ATSG Automatic Transmission Service Group manual it is called EPC Solenoid part #6916 , also Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid 7G383.

Back