2001 Explorer Sport - passenger upper control arm 2pc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport - passenger upper control arm 2pc

Vihshus

Reaction score
City, State
La Mesa, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I'm doing some rehab on my sport, and going to do work replacing the arms soon. I purchased replacement assemblies for the arms but can't seem to find the inner portion of the passenger upper. I'm not sure what to do from here.

Is it better to just replace the bushings and keep the oe arm, or is there an other option that I'm missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could purchase a one-piece upper control arm for the passenger side, but the 2-piece is there to provide additional caster adjustment. I've never seen the inside part sold by anyone, so I guess the best thing to do would be to replace the bushings. I just changed my upper/lower ball joints on my '01 ST and just replaced the outside part.

You could purchase a one-piece upper control arm for the passenger side, but the 2-piece is there to provide additional caster adjustment. I've never seen the inside part sold by anyone, so I guess the best thing to do would be to replace the bushings. I just changed my upper/lower ball joints on my '01 ST and just replaced the outside part.

Are there any modifications I would need to do if I went that route? And if I just replaced the bushings, how difficult is it to replace? I've asked my buddies I work with in my auto shop, and they just replace the whole arm whenever a bushing goes bad. (It's easier and quicker when the arms have ball joints and bushings pre-installed.)

Really comes down to the condition of the bushings on the inner arm. As koda mentioned, the biggest benefit of the OEM two-piece arm is added caster adjustment. Chances are, if you replace it with the one-piece (K80068) arm, you may possibly need to install camber kits and require an alignment to get to spec. Many say the one-piece is stronger, but I've yet to hear of the factory two-piece UCA breaking. 2005 ST came with the one-piece, but would have preferred the two-piece for the added caster adjustment and not needing alignment if marked and positioned carefully. I have a problem with alignment rates from good shops, often times the price far exceeds the part(s) replaced. Tie rods,etc.

Are there any modifications I would need to do if I went that route? And if I just replaced the bushings, how difficult is it to replace? I've asked my buddies I work with in my auto shop, and they just replace the whole arm whenever a bushing goes bad. (It's easier and quicker when the arms have ball joints and bushings pre-installed.)

to replace the bushings you'd need a press.

Back