2001 Explorer Sport trac engine shut off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport trac engine shut off

badfish4200

Reaction score
City, State
Bradenton,Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford explorer sport
Hey everyone, I recently bought an 01 sport trac and it has given me nothing but problems. I was told that it was used as a work truck and I coud clearly see it needed some TLC, but when i bought it everything seemed to be running fine. The previous owner replaced the catcatalytic converter with a straight pipe, so it souned a little rough, but everything else worked great. A few weeks after i brought it home i was going for a short drive and it just shut off out of no where, It started right back and i drove it home with no issues. I drove it to work and it shut off 2 more times in a span of 20 minutes. It wont stay started long enough for me to leave the neighborhood now. I noticed that when i turn the AC on or use any other electronics in the truck it will start to lose power and the lights flicker in the cab and the radio goes in and out, the same thing happens when i hit the brake while its idiling. Turning the AC and headlights on usually cause it to shut off immediately. Its never shut off while it is idiling unless i turn the AC on. It will stay started while its in drive if i keep my ffot on the gas, but if i coast or hit the brake the theft light starts blinking and it shuts off. The gauges also move a lot and dont gie accurate readings (oil pressure gage is on L, and the gas gage moves up and down). The check gauges light is also on at all times even though there is plenty of gas. I've read a lot of threads about others with problems similar to mine and I've replaced a few parts with no luck. Parts I've replaced :Alternator (with one from a part yard), coill pack, crank sensor, camshaft sensor, and a new battery because the old one died. I also cleaned the IAC valve right after the problem started. The check engine light has been on since i got it, i had pep boys look at it when i was having it serviced (oil change, brake check, new fuel filter) right after i bought it and they said it was giving an 02 sensor on the scan due to the straight pipe. I don't really have the money to pay a mechanic to look at it; so i've been doing all of the trouble shooting.. Please help with any info or suggestions of what the problem could be, Thanks!

This sounds like you have a fuel supply problem, along with that missing O2 sensor. I had a problem with my 01 ST starting and stopping, it was a split in one of the short hoses on the fuel pump inside the tank.
That missing O2 sensor and catalytic converter will probably cause a lean mixture to be supplied to the fuel injectors and cause power loss

Lol, you need the cats. He probably also took the bulb out of the CEL that is running in the background. its going into limp mode. Bet you are getting absolutely horrible gas mileage too. I mean worse then the regular horrible gas mileage. Pull the codes, they should be interesting.

Have a parts store test the new battery and alternator. I feel like the regulator could be bad. Low voltage, coupled with the missing O2 sensor could be your culprit. As stated above, post up all of the codes the truck is throwing if it is more than the one for the missing O2 sensor.

Back