2001 Explorer Sport Trac Window Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport Trac Window Help

Sherri Barton

Reaction score
City, State
Sachse, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
The driver's side window on my son's 2001 Explorer Sport Trac won't stay connected to the regulator. Previous owner used some type of sealant to get the window back on the regulator but it has been about 2 years and now the window is off again. What can be used to reattach the window into the regulator groove?

Special sealant?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had one come loose. I cleaned the glass and regulator part real well and used yellow (not black) 3M weatherstrip adhesive (AKA gorilla snot) to re-glue it. Afterwards I made sure the window channels were adjusted well and used Liquid Wrench brand foaming silicon spray on the window channels. That was 3 years ago and it hasn't come loose again. The silicon also works wonders on speeding up slow windows.

I think the reason this happens is that dirt and wear take their toll on the channels, then the glass can **** while going down. This puts a lot of stress on the bond between the glass and the regulator.

Most recommend 3M urethane glass adhesive or weatherstrip adhesive. Search window glass reviews for industrial strength E-6000 found everywhere, best general purpose glue I've ever used. Like anything, it's all cleaning and prep and using the right product and tools for the job. GL

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-1465533425503040:4619880531&ie=UTF-8&q=door+glass+adhesive&sa=Search&ref=www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?find-new/10438678/posts#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=door glass adhesive

EDIT- THAT'S (koda2000) where I saw 3M weatherstrip adhesive used with success. LOL :thumbsup:

@swshawaii I had the "gorilla snot" handy so that's what I used. Best all-purpose mega-glue I've ever used, but I'm sure there are other adhesives that work as well or better. I always have a tube of 3M yellow w/s adhesive in my tool box. Once it cures it's a strong semi-flexible repair.

^ Got it Phil. Off topic, but I bought two tubes from NAPA to bond ALL my door seals that were always coming loose and also causing annoying squeaks. Guess all the rubber conditioner I used on them wasn't helping them stay tight. Apparently, Ford believes the pinch channel inside the rubber weatherstripping is enough to hold them on. Surprising the difference it made, no more noises, especially when the body flexes when turning, and when going over bumps.

^ Got it Phil. Off topic, but I bought two tubes from NAPA to bond ALL my door seals that were always coming loose and also causing annoying squeaks. Guess all the rubber conditioner I used on them wasn't helping them stay tight. Apparently, Ford believes the pinch channel inside the rubber weatherstripping is enough to hold them on. Surprising the difference it made, no more noises, especially when the body flexes when turning, and when going over bumps.

Yeah Steve, it's good stuff. I only recommend stuff that I personally use and that I've found to work.

Thank you so much! I had a mechanic tell me that I had to replace the entire regulator and the window (window is not cracked or damaged). The quote was $525.

As long as the regulator isn't damaged/bent there's no reason it can't be reused. A regulator doesn't come with the glass, so he's just trying to rip you off there.

Yeah Steve, it's good stuff. I only recommend stuff that I personally use and that I've found to work.
You mean Seafoam? JK ;)

Back