2001 Explorer Sport whining/whirring noise in rear end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport whining/whirring noise in rear end

gmsux

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4wd
I have the limited slip rear end in my exploder and it has recently begun to make a whirring/whining noise that gets louder as speed increases and remains consistent with speed whether accelerating, cruising or decelerating. I jacked the rear end up and it seems that I have a passenger side wheel bearing that is feeling a bit rough but the big concern is that both rear axles seem to slide in and out quite a bit. What is the normal end play for the axles on these 8.8 rear ends?

If the problem is just wheel bearings that's a cheap easy fix. If the carrier bearings are worn then that might explain some of the excess end play and some of the whirring noise would then backlash changes from the carrier shifting around.

I changed out the gear lube and there is a slight difference in the noise but not much. The pinion seems tight with no slop or rough spots however back lash is doubtlessly greater than original since I have 138k miles on it now. I'd hate to have to spend a lot of $$ on rebuilding the rear end since I'll probably sell it soon.

Back