2001 Explorer Sports Trac Fuel pump question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sports Trac Fuel pump question

SportsTrac2001

Reaction score
City, State
Left Field
Year, Model & Trim Level
The history first:

Replaced fuel pump last year, less than 5K miles ago, Tried starting it the other day, would not start. Disconnected battery to reset whatever (reboot memory?). It started right up after that. Drove around no other issues.

Next day it would not start, disconnected battery tried to start it and it would not start, left it for the day and came back later 6 hours and it started right up, drove around no issues.

Next day got in car started right up, went to work.

Yesterday tried to start it and will not start. undid battery no luck, let it sit for a day no luck.

Went to Advance Auto bought what I thought was a fuel sensor relay (BWD R3177) change all the sensors out in that panel under the hood with no luck.

Checked the Inertia switch it seem OK don't know if it should be pressed in or popped out?

Questions:
How can I can the Fuel pump without dropping tank.

What other sensors affect electricity going to fuel pump?

What are that suggested troubleshooting steps to firgure out when the problem is.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Charlie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fuel pump impellers swell up with ethenol fuel then get tight in the houseing which over heats the pump it will run as long as you dont turn it off.. then it will seize up and not run sometimes a good whack on the bottom of the tank will get it going..but a new pump will be in order. I had the same thing happen a few years back drove all the way from the east coast back to Michigan never shut it off till the driveway.. that was the end of that pump..

OK your Diagnose sounds logical

Now what Fuel Pump kit do ya'll suggest?

We have all the National Brand Auto stores in the area and all small local ones also.

Any suggestions?

Will attempt to do it myself...I was charged $675.00 and it didn't even last a year.

Thanks Charlie

I just replaced mine with one from autozone the whole fuel pump assembly was $232 an it took me a 1 hour to change it myself an I only had a quarter tank of gas lol

Rock Auto online

PERFORMANCE ELECTRIC Part # P2220K Fuel Pump Module Repair Kit
(K) Engine Code; Important - For use only with OEM fuel pump module assembly. Instructions not included.
Fuel Pump Module Repair Kit;(K) Engine Code; Important - For use only with OEM fuel pump module assembly. Instructions not included.

* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
$46.79 $0.00 $46.79
Add Part

just a heads up if you plan to do huge performance upgrades i.e. supercharger/turbo, nitrous, or cam i recommend a high flow pump. no sense to replace with OEM to turn around and replace later with high flow.

just a heads up if you plan to do huge performance upgrades i.e. supercharger/turbo, nitrous, or cam i recommend a high flow pump. no sense to replace with OEM to turn around and replace later with high flow.

Any experience on what pump to upgrade to ?

I've heard the SVT Focus pump is a good upgrade.

I'm planning a Eaton M90 Supercharger, at some point in the future.

Back