2001 Explorer stalled out of nowhere and wont start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer stalled out of nowhere and wont start

markedman450

Reaction score
City, State
Enola, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
So my explorer has 125k miles on it. Maintain it very well, had the entire intake cleaned months ago. Besides a slight rough idle, thing runs great and accelerates great. Coming home from work today, prob like 80 degrees out. 25 minutes of driving(highway and back roads), stop at a store for some quick things, starts right back up fine. another 10 minutes of driving and i come to the last stop sign before getting to my house. All of a sudden as i reach the top of a hill, the car just dies. Rpms are at like 150 rpms and its barely staying on..( i call it half dead phase where its tech not off but u got no power or anything) Luckily i coast to my parking spot before it dies all together. Wait a few seconds and just cranks over. Waited 15 minutes, go out starts up but barely stays alive for a few seconds before dying. Try giving it gas but no response at all. Go out and unplug the IAC no difference, plug it back in and unplug the MAF, actually starts up better but dies out after like 10 seconds, once again trying to give it gas has no good or bad effect. Plug the MAF back in and it stalls within a few seconds. Think its the IAC?? I was accelerating a little going up the hill right as it cut out...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't sound like an IAC at all, no. If it were an IAC you could start the thing by tapping the accelerator pedal while cranking. I'd try spritzing a little carb cleaner in the throttle body to see if that helps. You might have lost fuel.

Even if i spray some in there i dont see whatever happend going away. Ive had cars stall a little or hesitate, and ive seen alot at the garage i worked at...But the sudden death surprised me. Im towing it into a garage that replaced the fuel pump 8 months ago, their gonna take it out and put a new one in.

No i dont see it being that. Ive had that issue with customers cars and my own...causes it to miss and sometimes stall out, but not just cut off completely. Unless a big enough piece of junk came up through the line and blocked the filter out completely...

It was the fuel pump, i love Ford design where the fuel keeps the pump cooled down until your at 1/4 tank. Got it back today but it developed a slight miss at idle. Im not sure if maybe i scorched the plugs a little while trying to dry start it, or maybe the IAC is finally going bad.

Back