2001 Explorer towing

Fordsgalore4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Habra California
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 EX, 86 Ranger
I just bought a 1983 25 foot camper its dry Wt. is 3,980 and max loaded Wt. is 6,000. Will this be to much for my 2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC 4X4
I want to make sure before i invest money into a frame mounted hitch and a brake controler thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a 1983 25 foot camper its dry Wt. is 3,980 and max loaded Wt. is 6,000. Will this be to much for my 2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC 4X4
I want to make sure before i invest money into a frame mounted hitch and a brake controler thank you

Do you have your manual for the truck? I believe it is 5000 lbs.

Do you have a towing package in that truck?

No I don't have the manual and it does not have the tow package

Is there another places I could get a t harness for the lights or will I have to splice in since there is no tow package

Ok, check the door (jamb?) sticker, to see what gearing you have.

3.45 ratio...not that good for towing.

D2 means limited slip 4.10s

Kind of rare for an eddie bauer, especially without the tow package

3.45s didn't come on this generation of explorer, not sure if any.

You have a 5600 lb capacity.

Axles available for a second gen
Code ... Ratio
41 ...... 3.27C
42 ...... 4.10C
43 ...... 3.08C
45 ...... 3.55C
46 ...... 3.73C
D1 ...... 3.27L
D2 ...... 4.10L
D4 ...... 3.73L
D5 ...... 3.55L

My Gpa had a Suburban 2WD and he tried towing a camper that the truck was easily able to tow but police said it's too big. In your case, the police might snag ya...souinds like tis too big

How far are you planning on towing it? Short distances you'll be fine. Decent distances a few times a year, you'll be fine. Long distances... might wanna get an expedition or excursion.

Meh, I'll pull a horse trailer behind mine without a problem.

How far are you planning on towing it? Short distances you'll be fine. Decent distances a few times a year, you'll be fine. Long distances... might wanna get an expedition or excursion.

I would tow it to the mountains there like 250 miles away then theres the up hill drive to 7,000 feet then a cross country drive to ohio from calif

looks like I need to get me a F250 or F350 now

Yeah, cross country driving is better suited for a diesel. Might wanna look on diesel specific forums, but I'll tell ya what I know. The 7.3 Fords will run forever, but the trans isn't the strongest. Kinda slow as well, but like I said. They'll run forever, and you can get em for cheap. The newer 6.0 isn't terrible. But it's got a bad rep and I'd never buy one. The newest 6.7 is an awesome motor from what I've heard. Lots of power, quiet, and sip fuel.
As for Dodge and Chevy, I don't know much. Cummins is always a safe bet, as for the Chevys.... I know nothing. I know Dodge put a stick shift behind alot of those cummins. So that's good if you can drive a stick.

You could get a gas motor... but I don't see the point. No better gas mileage, if loaded you'll get worse.

A F-150 wouldn't be a bad choice if you aren't making this trip but a few times a year and only need the truck for the trip. But realistically how much weight are you going to be carrying? Factor in kids, wife, tools, food, clothes, everything. It adds up quick.
The new F-150 would be fine, but those are expensive. Older F-150s might not be happy if you're carrying 8,000+lbs

Chevy had the 6.2 and 6.5 . The 6.5 has a turbo and you could buy a banks turbo and put it on the 6.2. I had a 6.2 without a turbo pulling a trailer loaded down and an ATV in the back of it. I got 18 MPG going over Lizard Head pass (Colorado) and going about 200 miles one way. On the return trip I got 20 MPG empty. That was in an 1986 Chevy 3/4 ton.

i'v been following this thread, and regardless of what the max tow weight for an '01 V6 Explorer is listed as, i think you're asking a lot of a 13 year old truck. besides that, the V6's auto transmission is not the strongest. you're also going to have to account for rear-end sag that will no doubt take place. i'd look for a longer wheelbase diesel powered truck for this job.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, cross country driving is better suited for a diesel. Might wanna look on diesel specific forums, but I'll tell ya what I know. The 7.3 Fords will run forever, but the trans isn't the strongest. Kinda slow as well, but like I said. They'll run forever, and you can get em for cheap. The newer 6.0 isn't terrible. But it's got a bad rep and I'd never buy one. The newest 6.7 is an awesome motor from what I've heard. Lots of power, quiet, and sip fuel.
As for Dodge and Chevy, I don't know much. Cummins is always a safe bet, as for the Chevys.... I know nothing. I know Dodge put a stick shift behind alot of those cummins. So that's good if you can drive a stick.

You could get a gas motor... but I don't see the point. No better gas mileage, if loaded you'll get worse.

A F-150 wouldn't be a bad choice if you aren't making this trip but a few times a year and only need the truck for the trip. But realistically how much weight are you going to be carrying? Factor in kids, wife, tools, food, clothes, everything. It adds up quick.
The new F-150 would be fine, but those are expensive. Older F-150s might not be happy if you're carrying 8,000+lbs

Sticks behind those cummins suck. 1st gear is useless, and the rest of the gears are so far apart that you get sea sick from the rocking when you go from one gear to a higher. Same way it was on older diesel F-350s and HD GMC pickups.

Back