• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer XLT wiring diagrams

Allyreg

Reaction score
City, State
Fairhope, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Expl XLS 04 Expl XLT
Hey I’m ally. I’m new here! I was looking for wiring diagrams for my 2001 Explorer XLT. Mainly just the starting, transmission, and ignition diagrams would help! I seem to have a short somewhere on the ignition wire circuit. The ignition wire was burnt under the hood fuse box at the starter relay and blower motor relay and from the ignition switch fuse into the cab and into the fuse box under the dash and also burnt into the radio wiring harness. So I’ve lost power to most relays under the hood and most fuses under the dash. The battery constant wire in the radio harness doesn’t seem to be hot anymore. The transmission seems to be in limp mode. The battery dies very quickly so I have to unhook the negative cable every time I cut it off. Which is probably just a handful of the problems this SUV has. The best thing I can figure, which I’m no mechanic, is that some sort of straightwiring might have been done at the starter to ignition for the ignition wire to be as burnt as it is. If anybody has any thoughts on where I could begin thanks in advance. And if it’s too much of a headache, like it is for me, then wiring schematics would be a huge help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a crazy kind of thing to have to fix! There is no transmission limp mode afaik.

I hate reading topics that don't format and are just run-on text, but you will find wiring diagrams linked in my sig below.

Battery dying suggests a parasitic drain (as long as the alternator is good still), you can measure drain across the fuses if a fused circuit which most /all are. Here's one example but I'm sure there is more info out there including in this forum, even some of my past posts.

Also, welcome to the forum!

That's a crazy kind of thing to have to fix! There is no transmission limp mode afaik.

I hate reading topics that don't format and are just run-on text, but you will find wiring diagrams linked in my sig below.

Battery dying suggests a parasitic drain (as long as the alternator is good still), you can measure drain across the fuses if a fused circuit which most /all are. Here's one example but I'm sure there is more info out there including in this forum, even some of my past posts.

Also, welcome to the forum!
Well I replaced the alternator not too long ago and shortly after I had a no crank issue. I jumped the starter relay to crank it for a few days till a friend helped with a better solution. Problem is I don’t know what that solution was. But whatever it was my explorer cranked just fine from then on. Then I started experiencing the battery drains. At some point I lost power to my radio I took that out and upon looking through the wires I touched 3 wires together accidentally and my explorer crunk up on its own with no key in the ignition. I tested fuses looking for a short and found a short on the ignition switch circuit which I believe is on the same circuit as the transmission digital range sensor. Also at times I have excessive clicking coming from under the dash,which I guess would be a relay. And the doors seem to unlock and lock themselves randomly.

Sorry to hear of all the electrical issues, they're tough to run down, recommended just pick one issue and work through it. As for the transmission, a large vacuum leak will cause it to not shift normally. Check the vacuum lines for a break, or a disconnection from the intake manifold.

Well I replaced the alternator not too long ago and shortly after I had a no crank issue. I jumped the starter relay to crank it for a few days till a friend helped with a better solution. Problem is I don’t know what that solution was. But whatever it was my explorer cranked just fine from then on. Then I started experiencing the battery drains. At some point I lost power to my radio I took that out and upon looking through the wires I touched 3 wires together accidentally and my explorer crunk up on its own with no key in the ignition. I tested fuses looking for a short and found a short on the ignition switch circuit which I believe is on the same circuit as the transmission digital range sensor. Also at times I have excessive clicking coming from under the dash,which I guess would be a relay. And the doors seem to unlock and lock themselves randomly.
you need to find out what that "better solution" was.

Sounds like your "friend" might have jumpered around some something that he shouldn't have to get the car to start.

There is indeed a transmission limp
Mode

Here is the wiring book for a 2001 explorer this might be helpful

If it was my truck with all of those burned power wires I would consider swapping the under hood wiring harness with one from a junk yard truck
Or at least remove the entire harness cut it open and repair

Hey I’m ally. I’m new here! I was looking for wiring diagrams for my 2001 Explorer XLT. Mainly just the starting, transmission, and ignition diagrams would help! I seem to have a short somewhere on the ignition wire circuit. The ignition wire was burnt under the hood fuse box at the starter relay and blower motor relay and from the ignition switch fuse into the cab and into the fuse box under the dash and also burnt into the radio wiring harness. So I’ve lost power to most relays under the hood and most fuses under the dash. The battery constant wire in the radio harness doesn’t seem to be hot anymore. The transmission seems to be in limp mode. The battery dies very quickly so I have to unhook the negative cable every time I cut it off. Which is probably just a handful of the problems this SUV has. The best thing I can figure, which I’m no mechanic, is that some sort of straightwiring might have been done at the starter to ignition for the ignition wire to be as burnt as it is. If anybody has any thoughts on where I could begin thanks in advance. And if it’s too much of a headache, like it is for me, then wiring schematics would be a huge help!

Hi Graham. Your message does not seem to have posted, only the quote.

Back