2001 Ford Explorer fuel pump won't turn on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer fuel pump won't turn on.

xbuckx

Reaction score
City, State
Avon Lake, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport and am having trouble with my fuel pump. The car wont strart and i don't here the fuel pump turn on when i turn on the key. What are the possible problems?

Thanks BUCK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Your fuel pump relay might be bad. Do you see a check engine light when you turn the key? If not, then your PCM relay might be bad. Check the inertia switch to see if it tripped. Did you check the fuses?

Make sure the plug on the buttom of the intertia switch is fully seated. Mine has come loose twice and it was hidden by the carpet. The first time it caused me to replace my fuel pump twice.

wheres the inertia switch located

the switch is under the glove box just above the carpet beside the kick panel

ty damn it that wasnt the problem now i gotta drop the tank. ill make a video post of it

there is 3 indentical relays inthe power distribution box under the hood (blower motor, fuel pump, pcm) make sure they click when key turns on

im pretty sure its my fuel pump it has been hard to start every so often for the past couple months. i would go to start it and it would hesistate and turn over and then start and then die and then the same thing a couple more times. then it would turn over just fine

I'm having the same problem did it turn out to be the pump? My 5.0 1999 explorer has been hard to start for the past couple of weeks now it's dead (at least it chugged it's way home) I'm going to check the inertia and the relay and change the filter, any other suggestions before I drop the tank?

it turned out to be the pump, i just made a flap under rea seat to get at the pump so i didnt need to drop the tank

Can you explain how you made a "flap"? Cutting torch?

Same problem with mine. Intermittent fuel starvation. Dead in the water right now, and getting tow warnings plastered on my windshield by the mall cops who have nothing better to do than write faux tickets.

PATS light goes out after key turn to "on", so it's not transponder ring, key head, though I am not getting the Cam Pos Sensor 1.5v from the PCM at the lead as the manual says it should.

Inertia switch was not tripped, and harness was seated good. Even disconnected and tripped switch in order to reset it.

Swapped relays. Relays grounding by PCM as expected when key turned, so relays and fuses good.

Went to harness connector near tank and found 12v constant on one contact, and another contact that provided momentary 12v as the fuel pump relay grounded, then dropped to 5v as relay clicked open. I assume that's the power to the immobilizer solenoid on the pump. I can't hear it clicking, so I'm wondering if it's the solenoid or the pump.

Intermittently I can remove the schrader valve and when I turn the key on, fuel will come out of the rail with some force. Most times it won't though, so I'm assuming pump is locked up after driving this summer too many days on a low tank the 20 miles into town. Tried B-12 chemtool and Lucas before it died on me. Now, no pump whirring at all. Even tried reversing polarity on pump harness to try to run pump in reverse.

About to probably try the $40 fix from O'Rielly, which is a best test in-line external pump mounted to rail, but not sure if it will pull through my in-tank pump.

Hey, Fireside3, did you install that extra external fuel pump? I'm just starting to go through this problem with my '01 Explorer Sport 2 dr. Thanks.

Negative on the external pump. Can't find one affordable that has spec PSI. All the autoparts stores here have in stock is externals meant for low pressure carburetor application (4-9PSI), and the only externals that could supply the PSI would have to be special order, and cost more than just getting the aftermarket OEM compatible in-tank version anyway.

So, I can do the cheapest OEM in tank pump replacement from OReilly for about $99, or go to a junk yard and try to find a compatible and talk them out of it for $25-$30. Either way, looks like I'm having to go into the tank and pull the old one.

More trouble shooting last night...Checked inertia switch again for intermittent contacts. The center pin has continuity with one on the side when it is working, and continuity to the other side when tripped, so that must be right. I jumpered the two contacts on the harness to just by-pass inertia switch anyway and make sure, but still no pump action. I went beating on the bottom rear of the tank near the indention where the pump strainer is, and low and behold the pump started spinning and whirring again, but it locks up again in a minute. So, I know for sure it's an intermittent pump and nothing I can do on the outside will save it. I have to dig it out. Sucks ass!

I guess I'll get a sawzall and go stabbing around over the wheel well and hope I get the right place. ;-)

Interestingly, since this no-start fuel pump failure happened a few days ago, my overdrive light also blinks when I do get the engine to fire and run for any length of time. I guess I'm looking at a transmission sensor or other serious failure at the same time. Great! That's all I need. I can't see the two being related events unless it's a PCM issue, and that's pretty bad.

To move the truck to a place it wouldn't get towed, there was enough fuel pressure from the test port that I attached a piece of old vacuum line with a fuel pressure regulator type rubber base that fit over the test port perfect. I attached a small diameter surgical hose over that, and ran it to the intake boot before the throttle body. I made a small incision and inserted the hose, and that gave enough fuel being sucking into the throttle plate that I was able to drive short distance just above idle. I did this once on an old 1977 Toyota Corona when the mechanical fuel pump failed and nobody had that thing available. I had room for a 1 gallon can under the hood, and I ran surgical tube from there into a vacuum line in the carb. Drove it like that for months, but the mileage was ****-ey.

'01 Explorer Sport fuel pump info

Hey Fireside 3:

I've found a $23.00 pump (new with a supposed lifetime warranty) on e-bay, HOWEVER, it comes with a plug/wire and a strainer (good) but no other gaskets and items in the installation kit as do the $99.99 close by auto parts stores have.

I'll share this info if you like but I don't know if I want to install without the new gaskets, etc. I'm still thinking about that. So here's the info.

NEW FUEL PUMP 2001-2006 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC (38MM) (Item Number: 160461105686).

Thanks for your e-mails on this. Jerry

Thanks a lot for that. It looks identical to my pump, but the auction states it's for a Sport Trac. I would assume it's samie samie for an Explorer Sport, but I would rather have OEM numbers to verify. Did you get yours yet? Fit?

My backup car took a dump and the water pump bearings burned up. I knew it was coming. So, I got mad as hell with the Exploder and cut through the floor board to get to the pump. I took it out and bench tested and sure nuff, it would run most times when voltage applied, but it had a dead spot and locked up sometimes. The most interesting thing is that even though it runs most of the time and sounds ok, it just doesn't seem to be putting out enough PSI or volume anymore when it does run. So, what I did just to drive for now, is cut the fuel pump hot wire in the harness and installed a rocker switch which is run up to my center console. Every few seconds I cycle the switch and this gives a small boost to the vacuum fuel draw method I was using before. I can also cycle the power myself this way and free up the pump sometimes when it does lock up. I moved the vacuum/fuel line from the rubber plenum boot, into a small hole in the intake. The air filter and MAF sensor were getting fouled with raw fuel the other way. Runs much better now, but still way too rich running this way. I'm getting about 14MPG, but I'm driving.

Economy is bad for me right now and I just don't have the funds to get a new pump at the parts house. Tried one from a salvage yard last week. No surprise...it was locked up and no good. I didn't pay for it though. Worst part is that even when I get the pump replaced, testing of my trans range sensor indicates it may be bad too, and what is causing my O/D light flashing. This means I'm running slow in either 2nd or 3rd when I am running. Sucks to be broke when your car is broke!

PS...looks like a found a complaint on these guys. Just FYI about their warranty..but hey, its a $22 fuel pump too. http://www.ripoffreport.com/Car-Par...tive/global-automotive-worthless-wa-794y8.htm

Hey Fireside 3:

I've found a $23.00 pump (new with a supposed lifetime warranty) on e-bay, HOWEVER, it comes with a plug/wire and a strainer (good) but no other gaskets and items in the installation kit as do the $99.99 close by auto parts stores have.

I'll share this info if you like but I don't know if I want to install without the new gaskets, etc. I'm still thinking about that. So here's the info.

NEW FUEL PUMP 2001-2006 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC (38MM) (Item Number: 160461105686).

Thanks for your e-mails on this. Jerry

Did you ever buy and install a pump from those guys on ebay? I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews on them for defective parts.

94 Explorer Sport
Same problem no fuel, cant hear pump. No engine light coming on, reset computer then it came back on and no codes when scanned. Now engine light flutters and then tries to die. Checked fuses and relays. Had new pump put in still messed up.

Help?
Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

94 Explorer Sport
Same problem no fuel, cant hear pump. No engine light coming on, reset computer then it came back on and no codes when scanned. Now engine light flutters and then tries to die. Checked fuses and relays. Had new pump put in still messed up.

Help?
Nick

If the engine light isnt coming on when you turn the key on, check the eec relay. These were notorious for eec and fuel pump relay back in the day.

Back