2001 Ford Explorer Sport Electrical Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Electrical Question

Tschick

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sprt
I have had my Explorer for over a year and a half now and haven't figured out why the volume level on my radio "resets" back to 3 bars even after I have it turned up during the drive. Is it something to do with the radio it self?

Thanks.

Not sure about this, but it might be a 'fail safe' mode
to protect you from being startled by a previous driver
cranking the volume wide open and leaving it...

I don't typically leave my radio on when I shut my truck off, but I've noticed that when drive my daughter's truck the radio is always turned way down once I've started the engine. I know she typically listens to the radio at much higher volume. I think this is a great idea to have the volume turn itself down. I recall having driven vehicles in noisy traffic and heavy rain, turning the radio way up to listen to a favorite song, then leaving work late in dead quite and having the radio volume shock me because it's so loud and I think God, was I actually listening to that?

It's a "smart" feature, mentioned in the owner manual (page 37). Since there is no mechanical knob to be rotated (and left that way), electronics have a default maximum volume at start-up:
If the volume is set above a certain level and the ignition is turned off, the volume will come back on at a “nominal” listening level when the ignition switch is turned back on.

PS: The newer Ford radios will also increase the volume proportional with the driving speed, to compensate for increased wind and road noises.

Back