• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

2001 ford explorer sport rear speakers

sdsport

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I am trying to perfect the sound in my sport by improving the mid bass between my jl audio 12w7 and the 6 inch Diamond Hex speakers in the front doors. I purchased 2 6.5 inch Skars, but they were not loud enough in the box i built in the back. I am trying to find a good way to put them in the rear speaker location. Any advice would be appreciated. i am also looking to replace the center console. The arm rest keeps breaking. i will ad a few pictures later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
They sell 5x7 to 6.5 adapters.

J_C

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Arm rest, disassemble then either put on stiffening pieces like wire or metal rod, and fill in with epoxy, or use fiberglass cloth layers with epoxy instead.

If you are really ambitious, you might be able to carve a new one out of plywood, or just search for an intact one at a junkyard then if not the right color, reuse the color matching vinyl from the old one. Heating it with a hair dryer will make the vinyl easier to install. Don't try to stretch it in the cold of winter or it may crack... or might crack anyway if too many years of sun exposure have degraded it.

I found one of the problems with my armrest was my habits... every time I got in, I put weight on it with my right arm, so have modified my behavior to not do that.

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
You could use masonite to make your own custom speaker adapters...

J_C

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
^ Or plywood, thick plastic or metal sheet, fiberglass etc... though you can probably find adapters selling for only ~$15. If using any cellulose/wood/etc based material, I'd think about paint or some other sealant to make it more moisture resistant.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I think I paid $9 for my adapters.