2001 ford explorer sport rear speakers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 ford explorer sport rear speakers

sdsport

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I am trying to perfect the sound in my sport by improving the mid bass between my jl audio 12w7 and the 6 inch Diamond Hex speakers in the front doors. I purchased 2 6.5 inch Skars, but they were not loud enough in the box i built in the back. I am trying to find a good way to put them in the rear speaker location. Any advice would be appreciated. i am also looking to replace the center console. The arm rest keeps breaking. i will ad a few pictures later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They sell 5x7 to 6.5 adapters.

Arm rest, disassemble then either put on stiffening pieces like wire or metal rod, and fill in with epoxy, or use fiberglass cloth layers with epoxy instead.

If you are really ambitious, you might be able to carve a new one out of plywood, or just search for an intact one at a junkyard then if not the right color, reuse the color matching vinyl from the old one. Heating it with a hair dryer will make the vinyl easier to install. Don't try to stretch it in the cold of winter or it may crack... or might crack anyway if too many years of sun exposure have degraded it.

I found one of the problems with my armrest was my habits... every time I got in, I put weight on it with my right arm, so have modified my behavior to not do that.

You could use masonite to make your own custom speaker adapters...

^ Or plywood, thick plastic or metal sheet, fiberglass etc... though you can probably find adapters selling for only ~$15. If using any cellulose/wood/etc based material, I'd think about paint or some other sealant to make it more moisture resistant.

I think I paid $9 for my adapters.

Back