2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Cruise Control Buttons | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Cruise Control Buttons

Silverbullet1

Reaction score
City, State
Round Rock, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer S/T
Hoping this is where I can post my question...
I bought a cruise control switch from Ford (SW5928) due to deteriorated buttons on the left side, and the lights not working anymore on the right side. BUT the cruise control still worked fine.... When I was replacing the buttons, I had a heck of a time removing the old connections, from the deteriorated buttons, and low and behold they broke. So I ended up using the new harness....I also had a hard time removing the connections off the NEW buttons, to be able to thread the harness, but managed. I took the old harness off the right side first because I had to remove the horn bracket to be able to feed it through.. I managed that, connected it the same way the old one was. then went to the left, removed the old harness (to make sure I did everything just as the old working one was) Had everything connected beautifully. Put everything back together, hooked up the battery, and went to road test. Well, the Speed control light on the instrument cluster now flashes on it's own every few seconds while the engine is on! Drove it anyway, to check things out. The buttons push in but the cruise control does not work, and the light just flashes.... When the headlights are turned on, the left cruise on/off button is lit up, but the right one is not.... so I re-did everything again to make sure all connections on the button and the ground etc. was connected and all look fine. Can anybody tell me if the harness on the new one is a defective part???? I called Ford parts, but they never heard of that happening after replacing with a new, and want $110,00 just to diagnose! So I cam back here to find help. Has anyone ever had this trouble before, and what do I check??? Please help....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hoping this is where I can post my question...
I bought a cruise control switch from Ford (SW5928) due to deteriorated buttons on the left side, and the lights not working anymore on the right side. BUT the cruise control still worked fine.... When I was replacing the buttons, I had a heck of a time removing the old connections, from the deteriorated buttons, and low and behold they broke. So I ended up using the new harness....I also had a hard time removing the connections off the NEW buttons, to be able to thread the harness, but managed. I took the old harness off the right side first because I had to remove the horn bracket to be able to feed it through.. I managed that, connected it the same way the old one was. then went to the left, removed the old harness (to make sure I did everything just as the old working one was) Had everything connected beautifully. Put everything back together, hooked up the battery, and went to road test. Well, the Speed control light on the instrument cluster now flashes on it's own every few seconds while the engine is on! Drove it anyway, to check things out. The buttons push in but the cruise control does not work, and the light just flashes.... When the headlights are turned on, the left cruise on/off button is lit up, but the right one is not.... so I re-did everything again to make sure all connections on the button and the ground etc. was connected and all look fine. Can anybody tell me if the harness on the new one is a defective part???? I called Ford parts, but they never heard of that happening after replacing with a new, and want $110,00 just to diagnose! So I cam back here to find help. Has anyone ever had this trouble before, and what do I check??? Please help....

diagnosis cost sounds fair.
something wasn't connected back right.
did you take pictures before you started?
are there shorts anywhere?
are the wires connected to the right spots?
did any of the wires break?

it's very hard to diagnose a problem, pictures (sharp detailed pictures) may help someone point out some problems if there are any.

it's very hard to diagnose a problem, pictures (sharp detailed pictures) may help someone point out some problems if there are any.
Hi there. Well after spending 2K on new motor, $ for diagnosis is out, right now..., No I didn't take pictures, but I only took one side off at a time, and was real careful on how they connected. I was told the original flat ribbon cable (black) the new flat ribbon cable (grey) might not be the correct pin config. But I don't think color matters... On the connections, they only go in one way in the paddles right??? Eventually I will recheck it all and take pictures to post. Thanks for the reply

Hi there. Well after spending 2K on new motor, $ for diagnosis is out, right now..., No I didn't take pictures, but I only took one side off at a time, and was real careful on how they connected. I was told the original flat ribbon cable (black) the new flat ribbon cable (grey) might not be the correct pin config. But I don't think color matters... On the connections, they only go in one way in the paddles right??? Eventually I will recheck it all and take pictures to post. Thanks for the reply
Oh, the wires came detatched from the connection on one end. I tried to put them back in, but the slot on the connector was bent and it wouldn't stay tight.

Thank you for that! I will delve into it. The only thing is, is that my cruise ctrl was working before I replaced the new. I checked and rechecked everything, but do't know what it might be.

cruise cntrl

Sounds like a connection issue in the column. Also important to check the C/C deactivation switch, it HAS caused fires. GL

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262765

Thank you. You know it dawned on me . I tried checking out something totally different before I did thehange..
I was trying to reset my al arm, which is the red light , wires attached under the steering wheel. Maybe, just maybe I in turn hit something loose. All I was doing was seeing where the darn button goes to cuz I can't set my alarm out of "motion setting. Which I hate. I pushed the button & it collapsed into the hole. I had to take the steering cover off to get to it & push it back into the hole. Excuse this reply as I am typing from my phone & its not really typing right. Anyway, I am off tomorrow & will go back under the column & see if I messed something up inadvertantly . Shoot! I forgot all about that! Thanks for the links. I think I did get my recall corrected a long time ago. I'll have to see if I can find the paperwork. Thanks to all for the help & great advice. I will update when I hopefully find the problem!

Thank you for your suggestion! I got it figured out! I was told the connections on the harness would only fit "one way", but that is not true. On the right paddle, "resume, set /accel & coast" I unplugged it, reversed th e. Connector, & tested it! It worked great! Thankfully! ...moral of issue, harness connector fits both ways, so its easy to plug in the wrong way... Lesson learned: TAKE PICTURES before you disconnect! . Happy now though..

Back