2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Tailgate won't open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Tailgate won't open

Sherri Barton

Reaction score
City, State
Sachse, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
My son's 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Tailgate won't open. He turns the key in the lock and the handle moves up but nothing happens. Can someone tell me what part to get to fix it? Is it just a lock mechanism inside?

I haven't had this problem with my '01 ST (yet), but I've had similar issues with my 2000 Mountaineer's lift gate. I think you will find that a plastic clip has broken, or come apart inside the tailgate. Ford likes to use these plastic clips to connect their door and latch handles to the latch mechanisms via metal rods. For the most part this works fine, but as age, dirt and a lack of lubrication stiffen the operation of the latches, the plastic clips aren't strong enough to withstand the stress and break. You'll have to get inside the tailgate and check things out. The clips should still be available from Ford and cost around $4. Be sure to clean and lubricate the latches while your inside the tailgate.

Coincidence this should come up since I had to remove my tailgate trim panel yesterday to repair a crack caused by a heavy glass showcase leg. With a tailgate that won't open, you need to remove the trim panel fastened with six T-30 Torx screws, and four plastic retainer clips that won't be accessible without the tailgate open. There is a lip on the top of the trim panel that fits under the tailgate molding. The panel must be slid down about 1/2" to remove. Once you have the trim panel off, inspect the threaded green clips and lock rods. Chances are one or both of the clips has slipped or broken off the rods.

This also helps me practice posting and re-sizing Imgur pics after Photobucket screwed so many people and web sites over with their greed.

2jhU2ms.png

HTXNGLh.png

My son's 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Tailgate won't open. He turns the key in the lock and the handle moves up but nothing happens. Can someone tell me what part to get to fix it? Is it just a lock mechanism inside?

Back