2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

roundbelly22

Reaction score
City, State
Crosby, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello friends,
I recently bought a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Automatic,4x4, Teal Green in color. My vehicle has 170,000 miles on it, I had the Transmission bands adjusted and fluid changed, still notice Transmission not right, but better. I just replaced spark plugs and wires, with motorcraft plugs and wires, runs better, but engine light is back on, and It will not idle when 1st started. I have not gotten it plugged in again, just curious if anyone else has had similar issues ?
Thanks,
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be any number of things, but you wont be sure until you can get the engine light code read. harbor freight sells OBD II scanners for 50 bucks. works great.

Thanks, I will have the computer plugged in asap.

once you pull the code, just report back and im sure many of the great members on here will have plenty of information for you.

Check Engine Update

OK, Had Auto Zone plug in my Sport trac, here are the codes. I am still leaning towards the TPS, but would love advice. Thanks, Tim

Codes

Po172 , po171 , po 457.

My Gas cap seems fine, just saying.

Code Suggestions ? Ideas ?? 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Po172 , po171 , po 457.

171 and 172, together, tell you that your bank 1 is simultaneously too rich and too lean. Go figure. You've probably got a leak in your EGR or vacuum system, or most likely, the O2 sensor needs replacing.

The 457 code, with either of the two above, suggest its a vacuum leak somewhere, most likely in the Evap system.

Since its only bank 1 thats affected, that leads to a bad bank 1 O2 sensor. If it were the evap or EGR systems, you'd get codes for both banks.

UPDATE: Since I already bought one, I replaced my T.P.S sensor anyhow, didn't change run performance at all. 1 day later, runs rough, no power,slow up hills, Engine light definitely ON, Was sure I installed correctly, but anything is possible. I am pricing O2 sensor, told I have 4, 2 upstream, 2 downstream. was told probably upstream, BUT, is it BOTH ? More advice appreciated. I have not had a chance to get the computer scanned again since changing T.P.S, but will asap. Thinking of replacing T.P.S again with old one if problems get worse?

without a scanner you will just be guessing. if you have a scanner it will help you determine which sensor is it, up/down stream.

ok, scanned computer again today, after replacing TPS back to original one, since that was NOT IT. Now my truck will barely go, spitting and sputtering. starts out ok, goes up to 60mph for about 2 miles, and then the power is all gone, causing me to go 25mph. It backfires thru fuel system or somewhere under hood, hard time even revving engine, WTH is going on ?? Help. todays scan was PO171 only.

OK, Broke down and took Sport Trac to local garage, and even tho I am getting O2 sensor Codes,PO171, it turned out to be FUEL PUMP. I, like most people, do not have the equipment to check this, but made sense due to O2 sensor sending LEAN code. The pump was only sending 30psi, should be 65psi. Cost was $312.38 !! Thanks to all who tried to help with my issues, hope this last message helps the next guy !!

Thanks for following up with the cause and fix. :thumbsup: Way too many dead end threads without a resolution.

Thought We had it !!!

Still runs better since fuel pump replacement, but after 50 miles, the check engine light is back on, and it loses power on hills ??? Will scan again asap.

Latest Scan 4/26/14

After fuel pump and filter replacement, now I am getting Codes PO171 &PO172 and Po304 Misfire on all 6 cylinders. I already replaced plugs and wires if you read back to earlier post. This is getting old quick, HELP please.

Back