2001 Ford Ranger 2.3L bog problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Ranger 2.3L bog problem

jruss

Reaction score
City, State
Cocoa, FL
I have a 2001 Ranger 2.3L 5 Speed with 107000 on odometer.
The engine idles and starts good and will run all day at a steady speed 70 mph or any other speed.
After it warms up you may or may not be able to accelerate. Push on the accelerator to pass and it pops and all but dies. At lower speeds it will die. Restart’s immediately.
Same thing I had before going to the Ford garage. But now it does not generate any codes or at least it hasn’t yet.
It was running very rough and stalls. I took it to the Ford Garage and they replaced the XL3Z9F472AA O2 sensor and did an engine fog service at 106946 miles $463.58. At 107083 miles I took it back with the same problem and the Ford garage replaced 1S7Z 1209AA Coil ass’y and 1SDZ12B 579 Barm Reman sensor $369.04 No labor.
There were codes both times.
Recently had Codes P0171, P0135 and P1132. Replaced the PCV hose and Downstream O2 Sensor.
No more codes but still have the intermittent acceleration problem.
Now at 107633 miles it is doing the same thing and I can’t see pumping more money into the local Ford garage. This time there are NO Codes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Have you gotten another code since this post???

..This might be worth a read...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149646&highlight=P1132
I agree it is interesting. And several of the parts mentioned have been replaced. It also has a new OEM air filter.

Unfortunately there have been no new codes. The new Downstream O2 sensor and replacing the EGR Vacuum line corrected the last codes.
The serious intermittent bog and engine dying still exists. It usually does it at the worst possible time. But i will restart Immediately.
I’m going to buy a Fuel pressure gauge and check the pump pressure. The new fuel filter had no effect.
I can’t keep throwing parts at his vehicle on a guess and I have already given the Ford Garage over $800 to no avail.
Engine compression is also good.
Just wish I could find someone that has seen this problem before.

...If it were me and since all 3 codes show in that bulletin...The very first thing I would do is clean the MAF...Instructions can be found here but read the other post here also..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156916&highlight=clean+maf

...Next, find someone who has an OBDII scanner to read your stored codes...Just because you have no CEL does not mean you will not have stored codes...When you get these codes, bring them back here asap before tinkering or going to the stealership...

...I do believe the codes you have had are fixed with what they had replaced but it looks like the MAF may be the culprit at this time...I am not saying it could not be something else but further info and a stored code check is needed...

...If it were me and since all 3 codes show in that bulletin...The very first thing I would do is clean the MAF...Instructions can be found here but read the other post here also..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156916&highlight=clean+maf

...Next, find someone who has an OBDII scanner to read your stored codes...Just because you have no CEL does not mean you will not have stored codes...When you get these codes, bring them back here asap before tinkering or going to the stealership...

...I do believe the codes you have had are fixed with what they had replaced but it looks like the MAF may be the culprit at this time...I am not saying it could not be something else but further info and a stored code check is needed...
I will try cleaning the MAF again. I didn't use CRC but used the Radio Shack cleaner that was recommended. Also,the MAF is new about 600 miles ago.
I have a new INNova 3110 CAN OBDII scanner.
Before the last fix I had codes after every test run. Now I get zero codes.
I'm going to take another test run after traffic clears a little in the morning.
I'll let you know the out come.
I do appreciate your input and I'm willing to try or retry anything except throw more parts at this thing on a guess.

I'm willing to try or retry anything except throw more parts at this thing on a guess.

..That's what this forum is here for...;)

...With the new info you posted, no codes, and def not ruling out the MAF, my thoughts turn to FPR (fuel pressure regulator), fuel pump, as possibilities...

...I truly think you had 4 problems showing...The expensive fix solved 3 of those...The fourth one will be difficult...

..I am hoping member GIJoecam will jump in here too...

..That's what this forum is here for...;)

...With the new info you posted, no codes, and def not ruling out the MAF, my thoughts turn to FPR (fuel pressure regulator), fuel pump, as possibilities...

...I truly think you had 4 problems showing...The expensive fix solved 3 of those...The fourth one will be difficult...

..I am hoping member GIJoecam will jump in here too...
P1132 has returned. But P0171 & P0135 did not re-appear since replacing the downstream O2 sensor.
Waiting on my Fuel Pressure gauge.

...For future readers...

P1132 = Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1
Note=This is fixed by cleaning or replacing the MAF

..I also came up with this after more searching...
1132 = EGR stuck open
Note...This was fixed with a new DPFE sensor

...I still say work on the MAF...I am hoping what you used to clean it did not effect it's operation...:(

...For future readers...

P1132 = Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Rich - Bank No. 1
Note=This is fixed by cleaning or replacing the MAF

..I also came up with this after more searching...
1132 = EGR stuck open
Note...This was fixed with a new DPFE sensor

...I still say work on the MAF...I am hoping what you used to clean it did not effect it's operation...:(
Took a chance again and drove the truck some distance. Same thing again. Had to pull off to the side of the road when it went to bucking and bogging.
Shut it off and re-start it and it runs good for a short distance. At one point it would only run 20 mph in second gear and I just kept it there hoping to get home. Then after about a city block it started running smooth and I made it the rest of the way home.
Produced Codes P1131,P0135 and P0171.
Cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner and there was no improvement in performance.
Should receive the fuel pressure gauge the middle of next week.

What gets me is the truck can go from running very good like a new one to chugging and bucking back to running like mew one in a five mile range.

Took a chance again and drove the truck some distance. Same thing again. Had to pull off to the side of the road when it went to bucking and bogging.
Shut it off and re-start it and it runs good for a short distance. At one point it would only run 20 mph in second gear and I just kept it there hoping to get home. Then after about a city block it started running smooth and I made it the rest of the way home.
Produced Codes P1131,P0135 and P0171.
Cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner and there was no improvement in performance.
Should receive the fuel pressure gauge the middle of next week.

What gets me is the truck can go from running very good like a new one to chugging and bucking back to running like mew one in a five mile range.
Does anyone have the Fuel Pressure Specs for the 2001 2.3L engine?

Did you ever fix that problem?

Try looking at the IAC I had the same problem after many expenses found out that even though I had checked the IAC with a meter it did not mean it had broken down. Turns out that was the case.
Hope this helps

Back