2001 Ford Ranger 5R55E Reverse but No Forwards | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Ranger 5R55E Reverse but No Forwards

superaben

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger 4.0
Today was a frustrating day in the truck repair world. I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4WD 4.0 with the 5R55E 135k on the clock. I have had a slow engagement issue in forwards for some time now. It can take up to a minute of reving the engine before the transmission would engage into forwards, usually requiring you to lock the shifter into 1st. Reverse is instantaneous. Once it shifts, it is strong, shifts like always, and will pull down a house. I had no codes.

I felt pretty confident it was a solenoid issue. I pulled the pan, no shavings or anything awful. Oil was clean and red. Smelled good too. I've smelled dead transmission's oil and it is awful.

I replaced both the EPC and TCC solenoids. I performed the 3-22-10 update bulletin from Ford, fixing the pressure issue and using a bonded plate.

It all went together well but still is delayed shifting. Reverse is just as good, shifts gorgeous with the update (wish I had done it sooner actually) but it takes forever to start moving.

So what is wrong? Is it a torque converter? Can a torque converter fail in forwards when reverse is actually the higher fluid demand?

Dont believe its a converter problem it does the same job for both forward and reverse, delay in forward is more likely a leak in the forward drum hydraulic circuit or worn out clutch plates. The fluid doesn't always have to be burnt to have clutch failures, sometimes the material just flakes off of the clutch plates due to time, even the rubber seals can harden and the sealing rings can wear down or cause grooves in the supports and drums all of which creates leaks and a drop in pressures with little or no debris.

Dont believe its a converter problem it does the same job for both forward and reverse, delay in forward is more likely a leak in the forward drum hydraulic circuit or worn out clutch plates.

Thanks James. That's what I'm thinking too as far as the converter goes. Wouldn't the forward drum or worn out clutch plates cause it to slip while driving too?

The way my financial state is now (read pitiful), I'm thinking that I'll have to refinance the truck enough to pay for either a good rebuild or a good transmission, either one. I've put about $400 in the old one to redo the valve body and that's gone down the toilet. I'm done screwing with it myself, I've done what I thought would work and that failed. What is your advice as a tranny shop owner? Should I use the local shop to rebuild it (I hear good things about him) or just find a new transmission and put it in and sell the valve body and the good stuff out of mine?

I have noticed that once forward clutch engages it seem to stay engaged even when the clutches are worn and or a leak in the circuit. The forward clutch is on for all forward ranges in this transmission so its not having to release and re apply in daily driving, if the problem was in the direct drum it would fail a lot quicker and you would notice slipping in gear.

I think the best option is to have the local shop rebuild the transmission, this way you have a warranty and a place to take it if more issues happen in the future. You can still use the valve body, maybe they will cut you a break if they dont have to do any of the updates that should already be done in the valve body.

Back