• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Sport Trac Intermittant

mahplane

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
2001 Sport Trac 165k 2wd had a couple issues when starting seemed like a fuel issue, swapped the fuel pump relay out and has started fine since Do you think my fuel pump is going out and should just replace it and is it possible to change it without dropping the tank

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome!

is the check engine light on?
What kind of issues are you having?

The only real way to know if you need work on the fuel system is with a fuel rail pressure tester and fuel rail pressure test.

No check engine light, have just had about 3 times it cranks but wont start replaced the fuel pump relay and it started was just wondering if it could possibly be the fuel pump getting ready to go

Did it again this afternoon, went to start it and it just cranks it finally started about an hour later and It has started numerous times since

If the truck is cold it starts fine if I drive it around and stop it wont start again just cranks till it cools off then it will start,
once it starts it runs fine no CEL or Codes

This is another fuel pump problem, the pump is going out or other fuel supply problem.

I believe you can change the fuel pump without dropping the tank of that is what you need to do. If I'm not mistaken you can take the bed off and a few guys can lift it.

2001 Sport Trac 165k 2wd had a couple issues when starting seemed like a fuel issue, swapped the fuel pump relay out and has started fine since Do you think my fuel pump is going out and should just replace it and is it possible to change it without dropping the tank

Yes. Intermittent starting is is a common sign of a failing fuel pump. To test, check fuel pressure at the fuel rail when the truck isn't starting. Should be around 65 PSI. I've replaced a bunch of Explorer fuel pumps. They all seemed to give issues with starting at between 175K-200K. They just wear out.

If it's not the fuel pump it could be a bad connection at the crank position sensor. To test check for spark when the engine isn't starting.

do yourself a favor and get a pressure tester on the fuel rail , I could have saved a lot of time an energy if I had checked fuel pressure early on in my recent problem.

You could unhook the line from the front of the filter and put a rubber hose on the filter into a tank and check fuel volume .

In my case the initial pressure was ok but the pump wasn't delivering enough volume and the pressure was dropping very low.

Back