2001 Limp mode issue

fidorama

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport trac
Hello folks,
New guy here, I bought my sport trac at the onset of winter, as I wanted something 4WD. It has been great up until last weekend. I was out doing some geocaching on a local frozen lake and at one point after backing up I noticed a small stream of oil in the snow. I immediately shut it off and got out to look under my truck to see quite a stream out of a steel line on the driver side of the tranny near the shift linkage. I could not see any sort of hose or anything that would have been connected to it and the line appears lightly corroded rite to the end, giving it the appearance that it has been exposed like this for quite some time. I would have to assume it to be a vent line. anyway it blew out fluid momentarily then stopped. I made an emergency call to the wife to get me some fluid and come rescue me and the dogs. After that call and a few minutes to cool down, I started it and it didn't appear to be blowing out any more fluid, so I started to make my way off the lake. As I got close to shore I believe the tranny was starting to slip as it was revving a bit high, but I made it off and up to the highway. At that point I waited for my wife as I didn't want to completely cook my tranny. When she arrived I filled it with fluid and started it up.. it didn't appear to be leaking, but when I went to leave I noticed the O/D and Check Engine lights flashing and all of a sudden no power. even floored in park or neutral it will only rev to 3000 rpm, but it sure wont handle any load. It did make the long slow limp home, but now I cant seem to get it out of the limp mode. I really don't think, or at least hope I didn't harm the tranny badly, it made the trip home and really didn't feel like it was slipping, but with the lack of power from the engine its hard to tell for certain.
It did give me quite a list of codes, that I am currently trying to decipher, but there are some my shop manual does not list, and I have found a couple burnt fuses now, one being #41 under the hood which should be for heated O2 sensor. I have now changed the oil and tranny filter, replaced blown fuses, and even disconnected the battery overnight and now when I start it, within a few seconds it blows that same fuse and the O/D and engine light start flashing again..
My theory is I overheated the tranny and boiled the fluid as it was working fairly hard breaking trail on the lake. In retrospect I now think I should have been using 4 low, but was in 4 high.
Has anyone here had experience with something such as this? I am fairly mechanically inclined and am hoping I can fix this issue myself, but am currently stumped on what to do next.. Thankfully its not my only vehicle however it is my primary driver, and its been out of commission all week. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

P0743, p1451, p0755, p0760, p0765, p1747, p0750, p0135, p0155

Back