2001 Mountaineer 5.0 Chugging/Knocking? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Mountaineer 5.0 Chugging/Knocking?

Joe Hertzog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello!

As the title suggests, I have a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer with a 5.0 V8, and it's making a noise that kind of sounds like chugging/knocking. It's definitely coming from the very front of the vehicle, but I'm not sure what it is. I can also smell antifreeze when I start the vehicle, and I thought I could smell it on the inside as well, but I'm not sure.

Also, assuming I'm allowed to post a link, I have a video of it here:

If anyone can tell me where it's coming from or what it sounds like, please let me know. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even with the video, you're not giving us much to go on. You need to start with the basics.

Did you do any work on the truck just before this happened?
Is your a CEL on?
Have you checked for DTC's (even if your CEL is off)
Have you checked you fuel pressure? (s/b around 65 PSI)
When's that last time you did plugs/wires/filters?

If everything listed above is okay, my super-wild-ass guesses would begin with an checking the EGR and/or the DPFE and the cam synchronizer.

One thing I would do is take the belt off to see if the noise stops, if it's a belt driven component.

Times two on belt removal test...or for starters shine flashlight on all pulleys and see it any look unbalanced in motion. Also try an engine stethoscope - legit or makeshift to help pinpoint where noise is coming from.
On this> "I can also smell antifreeze when I start the vehicle, and I thought I could smell it on the inside as well, but I'm not sure." ---- Sounds like your heater core is going out.... feel around passenger carpet for dampness (coolant) and see if odor is strong there...if so that's it.... these Explorers are a big headache to replace- have to take apart dash from what I read- so unless you're ready to deal with that I would just bypass - loop and connect heater hoses together - coupling/hose clamps etc..... You could get cheapy 12 volt (cigarette lighter connector) seat heater to get you through the winter....not great but something until ready to tear it apart and replace heater core. Make sure to bleed all air out of cooling system too after either job.....

Back