2001 mountaineer ac/blower problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 mountaineer ac/blower problem

connerman15

Reaction score
City, State
HAMLIN, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 mercury mountaineer
Hi everyone... I recently bought a 2001 merc mountaineer premiere with the 5.0 awd and 99,x.. miles... put it up on the lift to get a good once over what she needs (also installing a hitch ect) but one thing I noticed as summer starts to roll in is the ac wasnt working... started my investigation and the ac pump has been deleted... question being is it worth reinstalling? I haven't even had any luck finding a new pump for the v8... now the reason I want to install it is I have 2 kids and a wife and to keep them comfortable i figured ac is the best way (personally i enjoy the windows down but hard with young kids) also if this is the summer camper tow vehicle the ac would be nice for August trips ect.... thoughts? Suggestions? Where should I look for one? How hard to un delete it lol... also follow up question to this is it doesnt seem to blow very much out of any vents on heat or ac or anything, but you can definitely hear the blower motor so is there some door or damper I remember hearing someone say goes bad or gets stuck...? Any info would be hugely appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the ac compressor is removed and theres what I assume is the ac delete bracket installed where the compressor used to be... thanks so much for the link it's exactly what I wanted and when u Google it rock auto doesnt even show up (damn you google)

So the ac compressor is removed and theres what I assume is the ac delete bracket installed where the compressor used to be... thanks so much for the link it's exactly what I wanted and when u Google it rock auto doesnt even show up (damn you google)

You're welcome - come back and let us know how it works out. Heck, take pics and show us how it's done ;-)

Here's a 5% Off Discount Code for Rock Auto:

5% Discount Code: D920117E695C01
Expires: July 23, 2019

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code!

To do the job right you'll need the following...
A/C compressor with clutch
New accumulator/drier
New orifice tube
A/C O-ring seals
A/C system flush
In-line A/C filter (a really good idea)
maybe a new serpentine belt
maybe a A/C condenser
maybe a new A/C evaporator
maybe new A/C lines/hoses

If DIY...
Appropriate compressor oil
R134A refrigerant (amount varies by year)
An A/C vacuum/evacuation pump
A set of A/C manifold gauges
An refrigerant installation hose

Blower fan...
The air only comes out of the dash vents with maximum force when your HVAC control panel is set to A/C MAX. The blend door controls mixing heated air with A/C (cold) air. From what you've said I have no way of knowing if your blend door is broken. If it is you get heated air pretty much any time the blower fan is blowing. Without knowing why to PO did what he did it's impossible to know if you will encounter additional problems once all the new parts are installed.

Would I do it? Absolutely, but I live in Ga where living without A/C would be brutal. Would I have bought a vehicle w/out working A/C? No.

Thanks for the replies... that's quite the laundry list to get the ac back... the blower fan I should've been more specific it doesnt matter if it's on heat or ac even on full tilt u can barely feel any air coming out... even set to defroster it puts out very little air but you can hear the blower motor is pretty loud like it wants to be pumping out the air it just isnt almost like its restricted... if that makes sense? And back to buying a car without ac it wouldn't matter so much to me but with the wife and 2 little girls it makes it tougher and it's hard to test the ac when ur buying a vehicle in 30 degree weather

the blower fan I should've been more specific it doesnt matter if it's on heat or ac even on full tilt u can barely feel any air coming out... even set to defroster it puts out very little air but you can hear the blower motor is pretty loud like it wants to be pumping out the air it just isnt almost like its restricted... if that makes sense?

My guess - sounds like a bad blend door motor (actuator).

BUT your A/C system has been "bubbad" - so you won't really know without getting in there and testing it/watching to see if it operates.

Here's a link: you need to specify Automatic Temp Control OR Manual Temp Control.

Lots of articles on replacing it on this forum - use search feature - hope you have small hands ;)

Link: 2001 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER 5.0L V8 Heater Blend Door Actuator | RockAuto

Here's a link to a vacuum pump & gauge kit - pretty reasonable considering you get BOTH of what you will need for around $100 Delivered

Link: https://www.amazon.com/F2C-3-5CFM-V...ocphy=1014148&hvtargid=pla-570608922633&psc=1

51oMWkZ1iGL.jpg

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

If it's a Premiere I'm sure it's automatic HVAC. As far as the blower, it shouldn't make any difference to the air flow if the blend door is broken. Air direction is not controlled by the blend door.

It could be that there's a bunch of crap (leaves, mouse nest material, pine needles) between the blower fan and the heater plenum. Removing the blower motor and cleaning it out might help that. You'd be surprised how much stuff can find it's way in there.

I just had my AC redone with a new compressor and accumulator; installed for $750. I also paid $10 and installed a new blend door. I have no regrets paying that much for working AC here in the Georgia heat!

Back