2001 ranger Edge front end problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 ranger Edge front end problem

KRPII

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Edge
I need some help with a Ford Ranger Edge with the 4.0 6 cyl.

First I will tell you,I am not a truck mechanic.I have done the obligatory alternator,plugs, battery,brake pads and rotors, etc. I have been in the lawn business for ten years and can turn a wrench fine. I have to see if I can get this solved w/out going to a mechanic and paying the $1000 I was quoted for the job. Due to a parent I am caring for having a major medical problem recently,funds are very low. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

The problem:

I recently had the lower ball joints replace and had new tires put on. I have a Sno Way plow for it and I do some residentials and two SMALL( about 5 parking spots each) commercials with it. Now I find that the upper ball joint on the drivers side may be rattling a bit. I do not have the money to replace it right now. No snow has meant no pay.

Question:

Can I jack the truck up and tighten it down somehow to make it last a little bit longer?

If so, do I just tighten the nuts on top and how far can I go without throwing off the alignment?

I have gotten some great info from this site from a great bunch of guys, I hope you can enlighten me on this and maybe I will be able to return the favor someday.

Happy New Year!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unfortunatley the ball joint cant be adjusted if your certain thats the problem.

im sure you know this already but a ball joint is pretty much what the name says. its a threaded stud with a ball on the other end. the ball end is pressed into a socket.

similar to how your arm is into your rotator cuff.

if they are the original non greasable ball joints your out of luck mostly. if its the squeak or rattle noise that bothers you, maybe you can get a needle jerk and puncture a small hole in the boot to inject some grease in there to quiet it down

dmac0923

unfortunatley the ball joint cant be adjusted if your certain thats the problem.

im sure you know this already but a ball joint is pretty much what the name says. its a threaded stud with a ball on the other end. the ball end is pressed into a socket.

similar to how your arm is into your rotator cuff.

if they are the original non greasable ball joints your out of luck mostly. if its the squeak or rattle noise that bothers you, maybe you can get a needle jerk and puncture a small hole in the boot to inject some grease in there to quiet it down

Thank you very much for the quick response!! I will check to see if it is an original or not and follow your suggestion.

Am I in danger of breaking this thing off soon or will I be O.K. if I baby it for awhile?
As I said in the original post I am hurting for cash right now. I know you have no way of knowing for sure but a general idea would help. If I have to I may have to borrow and get it done. Or take a crash course and do it myself!!!LOL

Again,thank you for your time.

I think you'll be fine until you get the funds to fix it. I think it will only cause uneven tire wear, and maybe some slight pulling in steering if it gets real bad.

I belong to Lawnsite and Plowsite as well as joining here today. These are the best places with the best people for information anywhere.

Since there are no financial or personal rewards to be gained I feel you can count on the real answers from real folks.

Thanks for the peace of mind in a trying time right now.

You have a member for life and someone who will strive very hard to give back.

I think you'll be fine until you get the funds to fix it. I think it will only cause uneven tire wear, and maybe some slight pulling in steering if it gets real bad.

exactly, unless your doing some aggressive off roading where that wheel will receive hard constant forces you should be fine.

LOL!! No off roading for me! Besides the fact that my wife would have a fit,this is my work truck. It has been by far the most reliable vehicle I have had and I want to keep it nice. It is all lettered and set for my lawn business.

Also it is basicly stock and I want to build it a bit before I do anything too radical.I plan on getting another truck (maybe in early 2008) and will be putting this one in the garage for some modification.

I did do some off roading with a Chevy that I used to own and loved it so I plan on going back and having some fun a.s.a.p.

Thanks
Karl

Back