2001 Ranger filler tube (California) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ranger filler tube (California)

desire2win

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger
Live in Washington but have a 2001 Ranger that has a narrow filler tube due to California EPA requirements. The pump stops many times when filling, as the fuel backs up. I think that the tube is too small a diameter for the flow of fuel. Has anyone had this issue, and what was the solution? Thanks:salute::help:

Live in Washington but have a 2001 Ranger that has a narrow filler tube due to California EPA requirements
This assumption is incorrect. There is no hardware difference between the California and Federal Rangers of your vintage (2001). So troubleshooting would be the same as a Ranger sold new in Washington. I'd be looking for filler neck or vent restrictions.

Thanks for the response. It will speed up the solution for me.

One thing to keep in mind is that your Ranger is equipped with ORVR (Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery). The intent of this system is to force most of the refueling vapors to be vented into and captured by the carbon canister instead of being vented primarily at the fuel filler neck as is the case with older vehicles. A restriction in the canister or its associated valves and tubing could cause a slow fill.

Back