2001 Ranger SC 4x4 5r trans issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ranger SC 4x4 5r trans issues

PFA

Reaction score
City, State
S.E. Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
My daughters Ranger started flashing the OD light on the dash. A day later, she says that it is sometimes free revving while driving. After checking the fluid, it was a bit low. I went ahead and changed out the filter and fluid. Level is good now. No leaks anywhere with it. OD light is still flashing. Code reader does not see a code. I am told that the check engine light has to be on for a scanner/code reader will see a code. I have driven for about a 1/2 hour tonight. Stopping several times and cycling the key. I had it do the free revving to me once. I believe it happened as it was shifting to either 3rd or 4th. Wouldn't do it again... shifting into 2nd sometimes seems harsh.
I am at a loss. I am thinking it is a shift solenoid, but which one? What can I do to figure this out if the check engine light doesn't come on?

Thanks for any input.

The cheap scanners will not read proprietary Ford power train codes. Sounds like you got a bad valve body gasket or solenoid. CEL does not come on for tranny codes, just the blinking OD lamp. Several guys here use Foscan or OBDLink or ELM modules.
So I should be able to get the code with Forscan? I have a cable/ software coming from Amazon in a day or so. That will be awesome if that will read it. I appreciate your reply!!! Thanks

This is what the forscan shows me. With these codes, P0731 P0733 P0734 , what would be the overall issue to throw all 3 at once?

ranger dtc.jpg

Sounds like tranny ValveBody Solenoids+Gasket need to be replaced,
though I'm still learning about these issues myself.
Others on this forum are 5r55e experts; give them a day or two to answer.
Thank you for your suggestion. I'll watch to see what others may say too.

Back